[Nfb-science] Formatting: An Inquiry of Resources

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Mar 23 13:46:03 UTC 2010

Hello,
Firstly a conclusion (you can go on and read my more detailed
explanation if you want). I get the feeling LaTeX is not such a strong
competitor for you as there could be a few extra hoops as it seems most
others in your field use word. Also as you aren't making such heavy use
of mathematical notation that one big advantage has gone, other formats
may be just as good as LaTeX for you. Is there anything specific in word
you want to avoid?

So from what I understand about mathtype, it isn't dealing with what you
are really wanting to know about, using LaTeX to format a document. As
the other options (using normal LaTeX, creating a PDF and converting to
word format, or finding a LaTeX to word converter) work in the more
standard LaTeX way I will go on and describe that.

You would create a plain text file with a .tex extension (eg.
mydocument.tex). In that text file you would write your LaTeX code and
the document. When you are ready to create something suitable to submit
or to be viewed by a sighted person, you would save the .tex file (you
probably or should have been doing this as you went along anyway), and
then you go to the command line and run the LaTeX software over it to
create a PDF (if you want to use a word converter use that software
instead, in my following example I will assume PDF but if you use a word
converter it most likely will just be a .doc extension instead). So in
the case of the .tex file being called mydocument.tex I will now find
another file mydocument.pdf (there may be some extra files which LaTeX
created while producing the PDF but we can ignore these in the main).
Now you said how could someone add comments back into your document,
well that person would need access to the LaTeX source of your document
so you probably would need to submit both mydocument.tex and
mydocument.pdf. Probably in the case of using a LaTeX to word converter
the word document could be altered but this won't show up in the .tex
file as the two are not linked in any way. Although there are word to
LaTeX converters, I doubt you would want to use the LaTeX output by
these, software typically produces very verbose LaTeX to ensure exact
formatting is preserved.

Now I will just try and say a few thoughts on which may be better.
Everyone knows how to use word: May be a slight over statement but what
I am getting at is that you are likely to always to be able to get
someone who knows enough about word who could help you tweak a document.
>From what you say, if word is the standard format I would imagine LaTeX
users may be slightly rare and so you may need to resort to internet and
books for help on how to do things.
Adding comments requires use of LaTeX: Its fully possible to add
comments as I note above, however it does require anyone modifying the
document to know LaTeX and by the sound of it, in your field few will
have that knowledge.
LaTeX is certainly used for non-mathematical documents: I can think of a
number of software groups who have written their manuals using LaTeX
(eg. rockbox, python, etc), also I can think of people who tend to write
all their documents using LaTeX, its just a different way of working
(probably best for you to look around for reasons why people use LaTeX
but a couple are: Let's the author concentrate on content rather than
appearance and when you know what you are doing possibly quicker as your
just typing rather than having to keep opening dialog boxes to specify
how to layout things).

Michael Whapples