[Nfb-science] Taking an Astronomy Class

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri May 14 09:37:08 UTC 2010

Ed's description of astronomy reflects more my experience of astronomy
in my physics degree. It really seemed to focus on how we can calculate
things from the limited properties we can observe and really could be
done very non-visually (I think any pictures of stars, etc were only
there for interest purposes not for any informational purpose). Any
reference to a specific star/galaxy/etc normally was just form an
example to have some figures to work from.

The few areas which may be visual, such as classification of galaxies,
etc normally really didn't need much use of diagrams as it was more to
do with describing features common to each classification rather than
actually classifying anything (eg. exam questions tended to be "Describe
the features of a...").

I will say that this theory side was my interest, a way of using most of
the rest of my physics (some of which really seemed purely theoretical)
and actually put it to use to calcuate/predict something real.

Michael Whapples