[Nfb-science] Biology

Larry D. Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Fri Oct 14 20:07:01 UTC 2011

I have taken several biology courses.  The only one they wouldn't let me take was entomology.  The reasoning was that we had to identify our insects individually.  I could have faught it but I had already taken and passed among other things, embryology, comparative anatomy and ornithology.  In anatomy, we had several models we could use.  Also, we could draw things on that magic sheet stuff we used as kids.  It drew raised lines.  Foil was also used.  Some instructors would let the lab assistant describe what he or she saw and then I would answer the question.  If the answer was in dispute, the instructor might ask me what I thaught was being described and why.  Sometimes I could get the question half right.  For instance, if we were looking at neurons and we were looking for sodium channels and the assistant pointed out a potassium channel and described it vaguely then you could get credit because you did find a channel.
Intelligence is always claimed but rarely proven!