[Nfb-science] How and When to Let Prospective Employers Know About Vision Loss

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Tue Apr 30 03:32:04 UTC 2013

Suzanne,

I have been following this thread, and I noted your post in particular.  I
do use a cane (and almost certainly have less vision than you).  The advice
to volunteer in your field of study is excellent: I personally did with the
student chapter of a professional society in my field (the American Society
of Civil Engineers).  I attended those career fairs, and I remember feeling
skeptical reactions at various tables.  After the second fair that I
attended I was contacted by one of the government agencies I had left my
resume with--it turns out I had left it with the agency at the fair the year
before!  They ultimately interviewed me for a student intern position and
hired me.  Rehab understood that this was only a student intern position and
that it was a part of achieving my vocational goal; I don't have experience
with S.S.D.I.  That internship, after I graduated, resulted in the agency
hiring me into an entry-level professional position.

I'd agree and encourage you to seek exactly these experiences.  And keep in
mind that for all the skepticism you may get at a career fair, it takes only
one who will set their skepticism aside to give you an opportunity for that
first professional break.  I do wish you the same fortune--and
blessing--that I had.

Nathanael Wales