[Nfb-science] Laptop for working on the go & presentations

Chun Chao zerone1683 at gmail.com
Sun May 19 04:39:27 UTC 2013

Hello Mrs. Lasseter:

When I purchase a new laptop, I first look at keyboard configuration.
The keyboard configuration that I have on my current laptop is similar to
that of a desktop keyboard but at a smaller scale.
It has a full keyboard with number pad, function key row separated into
sections of four keys per group, a set of arrow keys just below the right
corner of the full keyboard, and four more keys (home, end, page up, and
page down) in a separate group of their own above the number pad.
The reason for a keyboard with tactile spacing is because it allows for fast
and accurate access of the number pad or function keys as opposed to a
consolidated keyboard with no distinguishing feature like the kind one might
find on small laptops or tablets.

Another item to consider is hardware capability.
Personally, I prefer to go with the Intel Core I series processors with at
least eight gigabytes of RAM.
I used to go for computers with large hard drives but have gotten away from
doing so now that I am able to store files via a cloud network allowing
access of those files wherever I go.
External hard drives, flash drives, and memory cards are additional
alternatives if cloud networking storage is not preferred.

As for the operating system, Windows 7 is still the most preferable due to
the issues that have risen regarding Windows 8 and screen readers.
Other features to consider are items like webcam and microphone in the event
that the presentation will involve additional parties over the internet i.e.
Skype.
Also, available external ports are just as important for access to external
devices or networks that may be needed during a presentation.
For example, number of available USB ports depending on how many external
peripherals will be used during a presentation, VGA or HDMI ports for access
to external displays or projectors, and access to the internet whether
through wired Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

One last item to look at is how the laptop is going to travel with the
owner.
A backpack, carrying case, etc. of good quality can help minimize damage to
the laptop in the event of rough handling during travel.
I think there are types of laptop travel luggage that are water resistant
for preventing water seepage such as soaking rain to the items within, but
not completely sure.
In any case, think of it as pampering your laptop stylishly as it travels
with you.

Best regards,
C.C. Alan