[Nfb-science] Accessible Math

John Gardner john.gardner at viewplus.com
Thu Jul 23 02:06:30 UTC 2015

I have just joined the list, so let me introduce myself and then comment on writing math. I am Professor Emeritus of Physics, Oregon State University, and founder and President of ViewPlus.  John kindly asked me to talk during the Orlando meeting, so some of you already know me.

I have just wrapped up a new beta of LEAN Math, an audio/braille-accessible MathML authoring/reading application.  First implementation is as an interface to MathType in MS Word - which Design Science claims to be the most popular math/science authoring tool on earth.  I am not a particularly competent software person, but I just got tired of saying that there was no simple way to write and manipulate math easily enough to solve algebraic equations.  There is now.

John knows about LEAN, but his company does not use MathType, so he has to resort to the complex method he described on the BlindMath list and apparently on this list too. Anybody who is not constrained by such bonds is welcome to use LEAN.  It is free to individuals. The new beta is being internally tested at ViewPlus for installation bugs. If none are found, I will send out a beta invitation within a few days.  Basically I only ask that beta testers try it and provide feedback within 60 days.

I have also promised to give a webinar on how to use LEAN.  I'll also give one on the new verion of the ViewPlus IVEO audio-tactile accessible graphics technology. I believe we have vastly improved usability of both conversion and using, so blind people can finally have good access to even quite complicated graphical information.  You are all invited to participate in these webinars.

John Gardner