[Nfb-science] Blind Medical Practitioner

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Mon May 18 06:06:03 UTC 2015

Hello:

     A quick Google search using the keywords: Dr. Tim Cordes
Yielded several articles. One article with a date in 2013 indicates he is
working for the VA in Madison Wisconsin.

     As for issues, I cannot comment as a student, but there can be issues
when it comes to accessing course content such as inaccessible web sites
etc. My advice to anyone considering a scientific field of study is to be
flexible. A few years ago, I attended a community college in order to update
my computer skills. My professors and I worked out arrangements so I could
complete the coursework. I was the only totally blind the school had ever
had. When electronic versions of a text were available, I took the file and
converted it to a usable form. When I studied MS Excel, the book had small
graphics showing the keystrokes needed to perform certain functions.
Sometimes a reader told me what the image was and other times, I used some
supplemental materials. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert