[Nfb-science] Math and Physics

Chelsea Cook astrochem119 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 16:32:38 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I recently graduated with a BS in Physics and am now in the first year of an MS/PHD program, so this certainly can be done, as illustrated by others on here. I want to add my small tips to the pile and invite people to contact me off-list with any more questions/advice-seeking. But back to how I deal with equations.

I agree that the Perkins Brailler is one of the better ways for doing long math equations. I also agree that it is too impractical for most classroom-type situations. So over the years, I’ve gotten away with doing things on a Braille notetaker. Sometimes this involves substituting longer expressions for ones you already know, or rearranging terms in different ways so that they are slightly easier to write down. this is just my way of doing it, and I fully admit that using a note taker may become less efficient as I move forward in my PHD program.

Maria, what level are you at with physics? I hate to give this advice, because I hated hearing it as an undergrad, but sometimes methods don’t present themselves unless you have a direct problem to solve. All this will come in time, but I’m happy to support you on your journey.

Lu, Great to hear you are pursuing a PHD as well. Audio has never been my primary medium for physics material;I’m very partial to Braille, but can understand why you may not be. If you are already used to RFBD books, though, finding a human reader in your classes or department may be the best thing to do. I know this is not ideal, but hopefully others will have suggestions.

You mentioned that you are in Brazil? I don’t know much about that country, but have a professor here who is from there and may be willing to talk to you. Would you be interested in an introduction?

Chelsea