[Nfb-seniors] The Blind Perspective - try it out

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 22:26:07 UTC 2017

Hi You All

RE: Over the past couple of months I have shared a few articles from this
newsletter. Here is that newsletter; you can, if you would like, sign-up;
link is at the bottom

 Welcome to The Blind Perspective

January 2018
Volume 4 Issue 1

Table of Contents

Greetings from the Editor
Sponsor of the Month
Movers & Shakers
International Perspective
Exercise, does a body good
Have I Got A Story For You
The Braille Highway
Kaleidoscope of Krafts
Spencer’s Spotlight
APPetizers: Byte Size Tidbits to Help Master Your iDevice
A Time To Plant
The Alternating Duo: Here's To Your Health
the Rotating Trio: EyeShare
Reader's Perspective
Cooking Concoctions
Riddle & Brain Buster
Letter to the Editor

Navigation

The Blind Perspective Newsletter has been produced in such a manner that
makes it easier to stroll through the articles. If you are using JAWS,
System Access, NVDA, or Window Eyes, press the letter H to move through the
headings. If you are wanting to skip back simply press the shift key + the
letter H. For MAC users, press Control Option Command plus the letter H and
to go backwards through the articles press Control Option Command shift plus
the letter H. If one of the links do not work for you just copy and paste it
in to your browser and it should work.

If you have any trouble reading this copy you can go to Click Here it will
take You to the read the current newsletter
<http://www.theblindperspective.com/current.htm>

Greetings from the Editor

By Karen Santiago

Welcome readers,
Wishing you all a 2018 filled with loads of laughter, good health, much
happiness, and all that you desire.

The Blind Perspective Newsletter has just embarked on its fourth year! We
are so excited to continue providing you with entertaining and informative
articles each and every month. Please take the time to email the writers
with your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions. We are debuting a few new
articles this month: A Time to Plant, Here’s to Your Health, Reader’s
Perspective, and Letter to the Editor. Be sure to check these out, and let
us know what you think.

At A Glance: Out of Sight, A P H, Hawaii, Cross Fit Training, Oh Canada,
Bree, Fizz & Balm, Keyboard, Workflow, plant Basics, Habits, Goals, Dining
Out, Bread, Riddle, Brain Buster, & Letter !

Sponsor of the Month

You are Invited!
Out-Of-Sight.net will be celebrating our Tenth birthday on Saturday, January
27, 2018! Here is our lineup of speakers!

Our first guest is the Global Product Manager of Blindness Products for
Humanware and he will present to us information about one of their hottest
new devices, the VictorReader Trek! Please give a warm welcome to Greg
Stilson, from Humanware!

How do you like the Seeing AI app? Software Engineer and lead tech on the
SeeingAI research project, Saqib Shaikh will be here to give us a
presentation on this amazing new app! SeeinAI is a free Microsoft app that
describes the world around you!

On May 23, 2016, our next guest became the first blind person to run 3,063
miles across the United States from California to New York in a record 59
and one half days! We are proud to present to you, Jason Romero,
ultra-Endurance blind athlete from Denver.

Who is your favorite audio book narrator? Please welcome Ray Foushee to our
celebration! Ray has narrated over 500 books such as, Cruel Doubt, Helter
Skelter, The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps, Break on Through, Boy’s Life,
If I Did It, The Green Mile, and many more!

Out-of-Sight.net is proud to announce that bestselling author Dean Koontz,
who has authored such classics as Watchers, Lightning, Midnight, and many
others will be stopping by to help us celebrate our special day!

6 time Grammy Award winner, Ronnie Milsap has become one of country music’s
top musicians, being inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2014,
boasting forty #1 hits during his career! Ronnie was so gracious about
granting our request for an interview! We are so excited to have the honor
to speak with him, so spread the word and invite all of your friends!

And, last, but certainly not least, we present to you a very-special
pre-recorded interview with a legendary, iconic rock star, one of the most
famous and popular of all-time!

To Attend, Here’s How to Sign Up! Simply send an email with the following
info:
1. First and last name.
2. Email address.
3. Preferred nickname.
4. Phone number.
5. How you heard about us.
Send this info to: oosnhq at gmail.com <mailto:oosnhq at gmail.com>
You will then become a member of Out-Of-Sight.net and we will be informing
you about the upcoming details about this very special Tenth Birthday
Celebration!

Movers & Shakers

American Printing House for the Blind (APH)
By Karen Santiago
Karen at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:karen at theblindperspective.com>

Who: APH is a non-profit organization that researches, develops, and
produces educational, workplace, and independent living products and
services for those who are blind and visually impaired. APH was founded in
1858 in Louisville, Kentucky. It is not only the oldest organization of its
kind in the United States, but the world’s largest.

Where: American Printing House for the Blind is located at:
1839 Frankfort Ave, Louisville, KY 40206.

There are two different guided tours offered at APH. First, you can tour the
plant and museum. During this tour, you will see how Talking Books and
braille books are created, view demonstrations of educational products, and
visit the museum. This free tour is held Monday through Thursday at 10:00 &
2:00. Secondly, there is the guided museum tour, which is available by
appointment Monday through Saturday. This tour focuses on the historical and
educational components of the museum. The free museum is open from 8:30 AM
to 4:30 PM Eastern Time Monday-Friday, and 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM on Saturdays.
Also, once each month, there is a special program presented by Museum
education staff. The list of events is available online at
www.aph.org/museum <http://www.aph.org/museum/programs/saturday-fun>

What: The American Printing House for the Blind provides several services:
*Textbooks and tests in accessible format
*Tactile Graphic Image Library (TGIL), has a collection of well-designed
templates to assist in the development of tactile graphics.
*Custom Media Productions, can make your materials accessible to your
employees, customers, partners, etc.
*Accessible Magazines, Reader’s Digest, Newsweek, and Scholastic News are
available in accessible formats. The first two mentioned magazines may be
free to those U S citizens who meet the necessary criteria.
*Braille Tales; eligible US families receive six print/braille books per
year, until the child turns six years old.

APH has a large collection of products that include:
*Product Information, downloadable product manuals and parts lists
*Technology software and downloads, has demos, product information and
support
*Videos and webcasts, about products and services
*Instructional Products Catalog, except for textbooks, this catalog list all
APH products

Latest Product: Indoor Explorer is a new feature of the Nearby Explorer iOS
app, now available in an experimental version. Indoor Explorer helps you
navigate within supported venues that have been mapped and equipped with
beacons. This exciting new feature has similar functions to the outdoor
Nearby Explorer; it allows you to independently learn about the location of
entrances, rooms, elevators, restrooms, and more and then navigate to those
locations.

APH, just last month, featured and is testing the Indoor Explorer app at
Louisville International Airport. From their public release: “APH has taken
advantage of Bluetooth, beacon technology with the app for use on iOS
devices. Once travelers download the app, they can easily navigate every
aspect of the airport from the ticket counter, through security and directly
to their gate. It gives travelers the freedom to independently find the
baggage claim, security, bathrooms, emergency exits, airport shops,
restaurants and specific gate numbers.”

Upcoming events:
Saturday January 20 (10 am – 3 pm): APH celebrates Louis Braille’s 209th
birthday and the gift of literacy he brought to people who are blind by
unveiling our newest museum exhibits. The focal point of The Birth of
Braille is Le Procédé – the book he published in 1829 to tell the world
about his new code. Only six copies are known to be in existence. Two of
them are in the United States and the copy in the museum is the only one on
display for the public. The Boy Named Louis exhibit tells the story of this
remarkable individual.

Tuesday January 23: APH celebrates 160 years of operation in Louisville.
Representatives from the governor’s and mayor’s office will each speak.
Tours of the plant and museum will be held throughout the day. Employees,
along with some teachers and students from the Kentucky School for the
Blind, will showcase APH products that provide the essential ingredients for
education and independent living. Also, a writing contest will be kicked off
for students and adults who are blind and visually impaired, along with the
professionals who work them. Nancy Lacewell can provide details to people
who are interested. Contact her via phone at 502-899-2339 or email at:
nlacewell at aph.org <mailto:nlacewell at aph.org>

Contact Information:
American Printing House for the Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave
Louisville, KY 40206
Phone: 502-895-2405
Toll-Free Customer Service and Technical Support: 800-223-1839 (U.S. and
Canada)
Fax: 502-899-2284
Website: www.aph.org <http://www.aph.org/>

International Perspective

Hawaii
By Karen Santiago as told by Keao Wright
Karen at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:karen at theblindperspective.com>

A Bit about Hawaii:
Oahu is the third largest island in the Hawaiian chain of 132 islets.
Located on Oahu is the state capital, and the largest city, Honolulu. Oahu
is Known as the Gathering Place. It is Hawaii's most populous island.

Some places to see while on the island of Oahu include the beaches of
Waikiki, Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, and a host of other
wonderful attractions.

With beautiful weather nearly all year long, outdoor sports and recreations
activities are plentiful. Some activities include surfing, kayaking, whale
watching, skydiving, hang gliding, or a relaxing dinner cruise. The island
is full of wonderful music. Most weekdays, and weekends you can enjoy an
evening out in a local bar and listen to some great lively music.

Schools for the Blind:
Hawaii School for the Deaf and Blind is in Honolulu. Students who are hard
of hearing, deaf, or deaf blind attend this school from preschool to grade
12. Initially this school was designed for blind and visually impaired
students.

Now a days, most blind students are mainstreamed into the public school
system. Depending on the school district, TVI (teachers of the visually
impaired) and O&M (Orientation & Mobility) teachers work at the schools. In
addition, sighted teachers are instructed on how to teach and work with
blind students.

Students learn braille and can submit their assignments in braille, and via
email. Mobility is also taught within some of the school districts.

University:
The University of Hawaii (U H), is difficult to get into. However, the state
agency collaborates with the U H disability service office in providing
assistance to students. They help with signing up for BookShare, NLS
services, and other accessibility needs.

Job training:
The state agency provides a transition summer program for students from age
15 to 24. Interested students can choose, or be paired up with a company for
four weeks in the summertime as an intern.

The state agency provides classes on what one needs to know when being
interviewed for a job. Furthermore, they teach interviewing skills, and
conduct mock interviews.

Benefits:
Like the others states in the US, blind individuals in Hawaii are able to
receive either Social Security Income (SSI), or Social Security Disability
Income (SSDI).

Accessibility
Transportation:
HandiVan is a transportation system available for persons with disabilities.
Individuals need to call to arrange for rides three days in advanced. The
fair is 2 dollars per ride.
The public buses are not available throughout Oahu. The fair for all to ride
the bus is currently 2 dollars and 50 cents per trip. However, the rate will
increase to 2 dollars and 75 cents beginning in January. Not all buses have
automated announcements, but it is getting better.
Uber and Lift are available in Hawaii. These two options tend to be a bit
pricey.

Walking Around:
Many rural regions do not have sidewalks. However, the business and tourist
areas have tactile markers and curb cuts on the sidewalks. This also holds
true for the presence of audible signals at intersections.

Braille:
In Oahu, braille is not consistently seen in the public. Some restaurants
have braille menus, some companies provide their documents in braille, and
some public buildings have braille on doors, restrooms, and in elevators.
Keao says that the best thing to do is to request items in braille.

Reading Service:
Blind individuals living in Hawaii are able to sign up with the National
Library Service (NLS). With this agency, blind and visually impaired people
can call and request a book in either braille or audio format. These
materials can be mailed, and at no cost to the individual.

Guide Dog Schools:
There are no guide dog schools in Oahu, or throughout Hawaii. However, guide
dogs are allowed in Hawaii, and all must enter via Honolulu International
Airport. The guide dogs have access to public buildings as stated in the
Americans with Disability Act (ADA). people and business owners are getting
accustomed to the reality of blind individuals using guide dogs.

Blind Organizations:
Ho Opono Services for the Blind: this is a branch of the Department of Human
Services. They provide comprehensive and specialized services that meet the
varied needs of those across the state who are visually impaired, blind, or
deaf/blind. These services are provided free of charge. Some of the services
they provide include:
White cane awareness
Prevention and blindness awareness
Vocational rehabilitation services
Low vision clinic
Instructional services in mobility, braille, computers, living skills, and
more.

New Vision Program: Students are enrolled in program classes that run from 6
to 9 months. Program students commit to full-time participation. Curriculum
includes such classes in braille, mobility, computers, athletics, personal
and home management.

Island Skills Gathering: ISG seeks to inspire people with disabilities to
discover solutions of assistive technology while serving as a role model; a
trusted mentor and end-user of technology.

Guide Dogs of Hawaii: Members are offered technology aides, adaptive aides,
and guide dog placements. One can explore the benefits of technology, gain
safety and independence, and experience mobility freedom with continued
orientation and support.

Hawaiian chapters in both ACB and NFB.

Final thoughts:
Keao would like to see more pedestrian audible signals throughout Oahu, and
a reduction in transportation fees for those with disabilities.
Keao believes that blind people in Hawaii are accepted and treated well. She
agrees with her friend, Derrick who says, “Diversity is a strength. The fact
that different cultures can live together on a small island is certainly a
positive. We learn about each other by sharing our customs, food and music.”
Keao believes that Oahu is a great place to be blind!

Exercise, does a body good

By Dan Kiely
Dan at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:dan at theblindperspective.com>

Happy New Year and welcome back to Exercise Does A Body Good.
Well 2018 is here and I bet that you think I will give you some New Year’s
resolutions. Nope, The only recommendation I will give is exercise 3 to 5
times a week, eat healthy, and or maintain or lose some weight.

This article is about another training exercise program, such as jazzercise,
not! Just humor people, just humor. All kidding aside this article is about
Cross Fit Training. What is cross fit training? This type of training
incorporates both a physical exercise philosophy and a competitive fitness
sport. These workouts include elements from high-intensity interval
training, Olympic weightlifting, plyometrics, powerlifting, gymnastics,
calisthenics, strongman, and other exercises.

Before I move onto a sample of a cross fit training program, I need to
explain what is plyometrics and power exercise. Plyometrics, also known as
"jump training" or "plyos", are exercises in which muscles exert maximum
force in short intervals of time, with the goal of increasing power (speed).

An example of a plyometric exercise is a plyometric push up. The difference
between a regular push up and a plyometric push up is that you lower your
body to the floor, explode up with great force, go back down to the floor in
the lower position, and explode back up.

A plyometric squat is done by lowering your body as if sitting in a chair.
Unlike the typical squat where you would just lift your body up to the
standing position, a plyometric squat has you jumping up and repeating the
process with force.

What is power training? Power training is like strength training, except in
power training you are using heavier weights or resistance.

Here is a sample of what a person might be doing in a cross fit gym:
Run 800 meters (half of a mile).
Do 12 pull ups or chin ups.
Run ¼ of a mile.
Do 12 pull ups.
You would complete this cycle as quickly as you could.

The following day you would do:
Run half of a mile.
Do 25 plyometrics push ups.
Run ¼ of a mile.
Do 25 plyometrics push ups.

The next day:
Run ½ of a mile.
Do 25 plyometrics squats.
Run ¼ of a mile.
Do 25 plyometrics squats.
Again, you would do all of these as fast as you could. These are just
samples of a cross fit training program. In a cross fit gym, they have so
many different types of equipment, that you can create a variety of cross
fit training programs. Therefore, I will not get into all the different
kinds of cross fit programs that are available.

Here is a sample of a cross fit training program you can perform in your
home.
Day 1:
Walk on treadmill for a half of a mile (stationary bike or elliptical), at a
quick pace.
Alternatively, if you do not have the equipment, walk in your neighborhood.
Do 10 plyometric push ups.
Walk ¼ of a mile.
Do 10 plyometric push ups.

Day 2:
Jump rope for a count of 500 reps.
Do 20 plyometric squats.
Jump rope for 250 reps.
Do 25 plyometrics squats.

Day 3:
Do 200 step ups on stairs, step block or platform.
Do 25 reps of superman exercise (see past article).
Do 100 step ups.
Do 25 reps of superman.

Day 4:
Walk ½ a mile on a treadmill, elliptical, or in neighborhood.
Do 20 regular push ups.
Walk ¼ of a mile.
Do 10 plyometric push ups.

Day 5:
Complete 10 minutes on a stationary bike, treadmill, or elliptical.
Do 50 regular squats.
Complete 5 minutes on a stationary bike or other equipment.
Do 10 plyometric squats.

As you can see where I am going with this, you can design your own program
to fit your fitness level and to the type of equipment you have available.
Be creative, smart, and safe when designing a fitness program.

You are going to love my stability ball article coming up next month. Also,
if you have an exercise program that you would like to share with the
readers, just send it to my email address above.

Health tip:
Did you know that if you floss daily, you can help to prevent heart disease?
Flossing can help to prevent gum disease. And, in turn, gum disease has been
linked to some forms of heart diseases. Happy dental flossing, and remember
exercise does a body good!

Have I Got A Story For You

By Carla Jo Bratton
CarlaJo at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:carlajo at theblindperspective.com>

Welcome 2018!
I have exciting news for our Canadian readers! I wrote to C E L A (Center
for Equitable Library Access) and received permission to search the library
and I can now add the reference or call letters to books in my newsletter
articles! Thanks Canada! I may not have each book, but the ones I can post,
I will.
Book clubs? I am a terrible book club member. I belong to one online book
club and I rarely finish the selections. I enjoy going in and chatting about
books and listening to what others have to say about some of their
favorites. How do you feel about book clubs?
New year goals? I don’t do New Year’s book reading goals or any type of
resolutions. I am simply a failure at those things, so why set myself up for
disappointment. What about you? I would love to hear about your goals for
2018.
I have 2 very different books for you this month. A not for everyone
thriller and yet another animal lover book. I’m just a sucker for these.

The Good Daughter
written by Karin Slaughter
reading time: 16 hours and 14 minutes
DB88747
DZ54334

Two girls are forced into the woods at gunpoint. One runs for her life. One
is left behind. Twenty-eight years ago, Charlotte and Samantha Quinn's happy
small-town family life was torn apart by a terrifying attack on their family
home. It left their mother dead. It left their father; Pikeville's notorious
defense attorney devastated. And it left the family fractured beyond repair,
consumed by secrets from that terrible night.

Twenty-eight years later, Charlie has followed in her father's footsteps to
become a lawyer herself , the ideal good daughter. But when violence comes
to Pikeville again, and a shocking tragedy leaves the whole town
traumatized, Charlie is plunged into a nightmare. Not only is she the first
witness on the scene, but it's a case that unleashes the terrible memories
she's spent so long trying to suppress. Because the shocking truth about the
crime that destroyed her family nearly 30 years ago won't stay buried
forever.

Packed with twists and turns, brimming with emotion and heart, The Good
Daughter is fiction at its most thrilling. This one contains violence,
strong language and explicit descriptions of sex. Bestseller 2017.

My comments; I love Karin Slaughter. She writes very intricate stories,
filled with strong and timely situations. Like I said, not for the faint of
heart.

Animal Magnetism; My Life with Creatures Great and Small
written by Rita Mae Brown
reading time:6 hours and 51 minutes
DB88900
Rita Mae Brown's first memory is the sound of a deep, rumbling purr. From
the cat that slept in her cradle to the horses, hounds, cats, and chickens
who live on her Virginia farm today, Brown has always been surrounded by
animals. Listeners will meet Mickey, a long-haired tiger cat who joined Rita
Mae on childhood exploits; Franklin, her grandmother's parrot with a wicked
sense of humor; R.C., a courageous and devoted Doberman who was killed by a
pack of coyotes; Baby Jesus, a tiger cat from New York City with sharp teeth
to match his attitude; and, of course, her beloved tiger cat Sneaky Pie.
Animal Magnetism is a celebration of these wonderful creatures and of their
remarkable capacity to enrich our lives and our hearts.

My comments; Rita Mae Brown has been one of my favorite writers for a long
time. I love her stand alone books as well as her Mrs. Murphy series that
she writes with her cat Sneaky Pie. In this biographical book, we learn how
she and Sneaky Pie met.

So, fellow readers, here we are again at the beginning of a new year, I hope
all of you have one that is filled with love, good health, new adventures
and most of all, great books!
Carla jo

The Braille Highway

By Nat Armeni
Nat at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:nat at theblindperspective.com>

Happy new year and may 2018 be filled with happiness, health, and
prosperity. This month is National Braille Literacy Awareness Month, as well
as the birthdate of Louis Braille (Jan. 4). So read a book in braille, write
a letter in braille, or send an A B C braille card to someone interested in
learning braille.

As The Blind Perspective and the segment, The Braille Highway enters its 4th
year of publication, I am going to tell you all about an amazing young
woman.
Remember to send Emails with topic suggestions and general comments to the
address mentioned above.

Bree Brown was born and raised in West Virginia. She is totally blind and
attended public school for all her k to 12 education. Bree learned braille
at the age of 3 using her trusted friend, the Perkins braille writer. At the
age of 5, she learned the slate and stylus. In middle school, Bree began
using her PacMate which allowed her to gain even more independents.
Therefore, she only needed her vision teacher to transcribe a minimal amount
of her work prior to submitting it to the teacher for grading.

Bree used braille throughout her years in the public school system. She not
only used braille for education, but also for her love of music. Bree took
part in any school activity that allowed her to play the trumpet, and once
again, used braille music to participate.

Ms. Brown attended Texas State University where she earned a Bachelor’s in
General Studies; specializing in Family and Child Development, Psychology,
and Special Education. In her post-secondary education, while still using
her braille writer and the slate and stylus, she began using a Braille note
Apex and has not looked back since. Bree won a few scholarships while
attending college, including the prestigious NFB (National Federation of the
Blind) Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship in 2015.

In January 2017 Bree was working at the Louisiana Centre for the blind on a
contractual basis. She also was involved with the BELL (Braille Enrichment
for Literacy and Learning) Academy along with many other programs. As of
September 2017, Bree was hired as a braille instructor for the Louisiana
Center for the Blind. She received her National Certification in Unified
English Braille through the National Blindness Professional Certification
Board.

As a braille instructor, she makes notes and reminders in braille. She feels
strongly that braille should be taught to all young blind students. It
teaches them how to spell correctly, use proper punctuation, and form
complete sentences.

As a youngster, Bree did not think she could become a teacher. With
encouragement and guidance from her family, friends, and mentors, she
persevered and made her dreams a reality. While in college, Bree continued
her love for music and joined an acapella singing group, which she really
enjoys. Using braille, Bree can write down the lyrics along with reminders
where to breathe, and other singing pointers.

Bree also directed the Christmas play at the Louisiana Centre for the Blind
this last Christmas. While conducting my interview with Bree, she mentioned
how Jerry Whittle her former braille instructor, had suddenly passed away in
November. He was truly a big influence and guiding light for Bree, both as a
student and as an instructor. He will be dearly missed by both Bree and the
rest of the people at the Louisiana Centre for the Blind.

With all the above achievements, one would think that she is in her early to
mid-thirties, but at the writing of this article, Ms. Brown has not even
reached a quarter of a century yet. Braille has been a significant tool in
Ms. Brown’s toolbox. As already mentioned, the braille writer, the slate and
stylus, and electronic braille through her Braille note Apex, all have
played a big part of her personal and professional lives.

While attending Texas State University, Bree had a housemate, Jessica, who
she became good friends with. Jessica was interested in learning about
braille and other things associated with blindness. Jessica was an art major
studying ceramics and many other things including paper fibers. She learned
braille and incorporated it into one of her art exhibits at school. Jessica
was trying to demonstrate that blind people are equal members of society.
After convincing Bree to attend, but not telling her the theme of her
exhibit, Bree finally made her way there, Bree was pleasantly surprised and
equally impressed with her friend’s art work.

Bree participates in her church service by receiving the scriptures in
braille through the Xavier Society. Bree enjoys reading, and playing
scrabble, word and card games.

I thought long and hard on what I should do for my first article of the
year. Since many of us need a little inspiration to go for our goals, I
decided to give you a little insight on a young woman who has done so much
and still has a lifetime to do many more things! I want to thank Pamela
Allen, the executive director of the Louisiana Centre for the Blind for
introducing me to Ms. Brown. It was an absolute pleasure for me to interview
you Bree, and thank you so much for agreeing to participate.

Why complicate life with gadgets when you can complement it with braille.
Braille readers do it with feeling! Until February when we meet again,
remember to stay on the dotted line of life!

Kaleidoscope of Krafts

By Lindy van der Merwe
Lindy at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:lindy at theblindperspective.com>

It is with great pleasure that I welcome all readers to the first edition of
Kaleidoscope of Crafts for 2018. I hope you will not only enjoy reading, but
try this month's craft out for yourself.

If you enjoyed playing with clay or doing science experiments as a child,
the do-it-yourself bath bombs and fizzy bath salts I share below will
definitely be something you might want to try, on your own or share with
kids or grandkids. Children love these especially, but there is no reason
why we adults cannot also enjoy making them and adding them to our baths.
Depending on the type of molds or containers you use, bath bombs or fizzy
salts will not only look pretty but they will add some sweet scents and
fizzy fun to your bath time.

I am sharing both bath salts and bath bombs because most people find that
they have to experiment a little when making bath bombs. Complaints most
often center around the fact that the bath bombs fall apart when removed
from their molds or become misshapen and lumpy or crumble after a few days,
but I am hoping that this will not stop you from trying out this really fun
craft. Depending on different factors, there are solutions to the problems
mentioned above, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that there are no
strong preservatives used in DIY products.

If your attempt at making bath bombs do not succeed at first, don't despair.
Simply crumble, press or grind the shapes up into a powdery mixture again
and present as fizzy bath salts in an attractive container.

These bath bombs or fizzy salts are made with some basic ingredients you may
already have at home, or if not, you can buy them on-line or at your nearest
supermarket, craft store or pharmacy.

For fizzy bath salts you will need:
1 cup Epsom salt
1 cup sea salt
1 cup baking soda, sifted
½ cup citric acid
20 drops of essential oil
1-2 drops food coloring (optional)

Instructions:
Step 1: Mix the Epsom salt, sea salt and baking soda together well.
Step 2: Add the food coloring and essential oils to the dry mixture.
Step 3: Slowly add the citric acid to the mixture.
Step 4: Using a funnel, gently pour the bath salt mixture into an airtight
container and seal.
Step 5: Decorate if preferred, adding a card stating what your gift contains
and how it should be used.

For bath bombs you will need:
Dry ingredients
1 cup or 8 fluid oz. baking soda
½ cup or 4 fluid oz. citric acid
½ cup or 4 fluid oz. corn starch
½ cup or 4 fluid oz. Epsom salt

Wet ingredients
Olive oil or cooking spray
A little water in a spray bottle
20 drops of essential oil
1-2 drops food coloring (optional)

You should be able to find all kinds of molds where crafts or cooking
utensils are sold since they can be used for baking, soap making, clay work,
etc. It is best to use molds that are fairly small for your bath bombs.
These molds often come in the form of a plastic or silicon sheet with
between 6 to 12 shapes on one sheet.

Instructions:
Step 1: Start by mixing all your dry ingredients together in a glass bowl
with your hands or a whisk. Make sure you get all the lumps out!
Step 2: Use a spray bottle to lightly dampen the mixture you’ve just
created. Add only enough water so that the dough is compactable, but avoid
adding so much that it becomes fizzy and must be started over.
After spritzing the mixture two or three times, give it another stir with
your hands. It should hold its form when pressed together. If it doesn't,
add a little more moisture and try again, keeping the fizz to a minimum as
far as possible.
Step 3: When your mixture can be easily molded in your hands, add a few
drops of essential oil and food coloring to your liking.
Step 4: If preferred, lightly spray your molds with a little olive oil
before adding your dough mixture, using a lot of pressure to compact the
dough firmly into the molds, to prevent cracking.
Step 5: Leave the bath bombs in the molds in a cool, dry area, away from
moisture, for at least 24 hours. If after 24 hours the bath bombs still feel
slightly damp, remove them from the molds and allow them to air dry
independently.
Step 6: When completely dry, gently remove the bath bombs from their molds
and wrap in cling film or plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.z
To use, simply add one or two bath bombs or a teaspoon or two of fizzy salts
to warm bath water and enjoy.

If you are interested in this kind of craft, you will be happy to know that
there are thousands of recipes and directions you can try out to make
personal products you can use for yourself, in and around your home or as
gifts.
Google will be more than willing to assist you if you type in terms like DIY
recipes followed by whatever you'd like to make, from lip balm to hair
conditioners and more.

Sources
https://www.runtoradiance.com/easy-diy-bath-bombs/
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Bath-Bombs
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Fizzy-Salts

Spencer's Spotlight

By Cheryl Spencer
Cheryl at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:cheryl at theblindperspective.com>

Happy New Year!
I hope all had a wonderful holiday season. My spotlight feature this month
will focus mainly on a very fundamental piece of equipment. My keyboard.

Over the course of the last few months I have noticed when I have been
writing my articles, that my keys on my wireless keyboard have been
sticking. The typos were getting ridiculously high. So, Amazon to the
rescue.

I am a Prime member and really dislike going to the stores and dealing with
sales people that do not know anything about the products they sell. Anyway,
I found a keyboard with good ratings for 14 dollars and 93cents, cool, under
20 dollars. I am all about a good deal.

It is the Logitech K 360 wireless keyboard. Well, it came in the mail, I
opened the box and it was a very nice looking keyboard. But, where was the
dongle? Where, where, where? I looked all over the box, inside the keyboard
battery compartment, and could not locate a dongle. Well, you know as well
as I do, that without the dongle, you have a worthless piece of plastic.

I called Amazon, told them what I thought about them selling a keyboard
without the dongle. They said it was supposed to work in conjunction with
the mouse and they would send me the mouse and that dongle would work with
my keyboard. Okay, sounds good, what do I know, little too technical for me.

the mouse arrives, I find the dongle and yep, you guessed it, it did not
work either. So, scratching my head, I went back to the keyboard box, looked
for the directions hoping I may have missed something; maybe some kind of
switch I was supposed to press or push. I used the Seeing AI app on my I
phone and nothing jumped out at me, therefore, I dialed Amazon again to tell
them that this dongle did not work either.

While I was waiting for them to answer, I reached back in the keyboard box
and my fingers brushed a crossed the front panel of the box. Yep you are
right, I found the dongle hiding in plain sight, front and center. I took it
and popped it into the USB port of the computer, and yes, you guessed
correctly, it worked. About that time, Amazon answered the phone. I said I
had already answered the question I had and sheepishly said good-bye.

So, after all that, I am happy to report that this is a very nice keyboard.
The layout is nicely positioned. I usually have to mark several keys for
orientation, but not with this keyboard. It uses batteries rather than
rechargeables, which I prefer. It sits comfortably in my lap or it can sit
on a table. It has rubberized feet to keep it stable, as well as a kick
stand to adjust the angle while typing. It has an actual on/off switch so
you can tell if the keyboard is on or not, without guessing like the ones
with the on off toggle button. It has a full number keypad and the six pack
is not in the usual place, but is located above the number keypad.

I really like the layout. About the only drawback to this keyboard I have
found so far is that it does not have an application key. I have had to get
used to the shift F10 combo to achieve this function. Also, a plus for me is
the arrow keys are slightly below the rest of the keys for easy access.

For under 20 Dollars, you cannot go wrong with this keyboard. I highly
recommend it, even after all I went through to get it working. Just another
day in the life dot, dot, dot.

APPetizers: Byte Size Tidbits to Help Master Your iDevice

By Darrin Cheney
Darrin at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:darrin at theblindperspective.com>

Exploring Workflow in iOS
I am at my doctor’s appointment and I need to let my wife know I am done and
ready to be picked up. I could swipe and tap and use the on-screen keyboard
to create my message, Or, I could use SIRI. Nope. I want a third option. I
want to automatically create this message and then I can send it to my wife.
I found a great app that will help me do this project and a whole lot more.
Best of all, the app is free from the Apple app store.

The Workflow app (www.workflow.is <http://www.workflow.is> ) can help you
save time and frustration by automating a process on your iDevice. The
process is called a workflow, like the app. Consider the swiping and typing
you spend to send one message. You can create a workflow to do this for you.
You can also use a workflow that will email a monthly meeting reminder to a
group, speed dial that important someone or a group call, message your
family when you arrive home, convert a document to .PDF, remind you of a
task when you get to work, or send a tweet or a Facebook post.

A workflow is like cooking from a recipe where you follow the steps or
actions in your recipe to create something yummy. Workflow actions are the
tasks you can perform in the apps on your iDevice. The Gallery includes a
lot of recipes or sample workflow examples that you can use or customize.
You can also build a workflow from scratch and choose your actions from a
list. For example, you can add a new event in your calendar, select a
contact, record audio, dictate text, select a photo, or specify a GPS
location and address. You can run a workflow from the app, from an icon on
your Home screen, or from the Today Widget in the Notification Center.

The key to a good recipe or workflow is defining your task and identifying
the actions needed. I want to send a simple message to my wife when I
double-tap an icon on my Home Screen. I would like to create it once and
reuse it any time. Basically, I want to set it and forget about it. This
recipe translates into two actions: specify message text and create message
to a recipient.

Now it is time to do some cooking. I need to create a workflow and add my
ingredients. I create a new workflow by double-tapping Add Workflow button.
I will choose Normal Workflow. Next, I switch between Actions and Workflow
view. In the Action list, I find and drag a “Specify Message Text” action to
the right of the screen and drop it to add it to the Workflow list. I write
the text, “I am ready” in the text field. Next, I will add a “Create
Message” action and add my wife’s mobile number from the contact list.
Finally, I will try my workflow by double-tapping on the “Run Workflow”
button. I can easily edit or change each action. Finally, Under Workflow
Settings, I name my workflow as “Ready.” Now, I can run it from the Workflow
app anytime.

I want to add my workflow as an icon on my Home screen. I will choose Add to
Home Screen in the Settings Menu and follow the on-screen instructions. Now,
I can run this workflow by double-tapping on a screen icon. You can also
share your workflow with someone else, by choosing Share Workflow.

I am Ready Workflow Recipe:
1. Create workflow and choose Normal.
2. Add the Text action from the action menu.
3. Enter your message text.
4. Add the Send Message action.
5. Choose the recipient from your contact list.
6. Play workflow to test it.
7. Add to Home Screen.
8. Enjoy and share with friends!

The Workflow app is a powerful tool that will save you a lot of swipes and
taps. Take some time and try a few of the workflow examples in the Gallery.
Start with something simple and useful like the workflow above. Once you
understand how it works, customize a workflow or create a new one. If you
create something that helps you, consider sharing it with another iUser.
Have fun and you will get the hang of Workflow in no time.

Resource List:
You can learn more about Workflow from the getting started tutorial in the
app. The Workflow app website has helpful documentation and examples. I also
included some links to videos that provide a good overview of the Workflow
app and how students with disabilities are using it.

Workflow Website:
www.workflow.is <http://www.workflow.is/>

Workflow Documentation:
www.workflow.is/docs <http://www.workflow.is/docs>

AppChasers.com:
How to use Workflow <http://bangbuzz.info/videos/watch/iKg4NUXvqzQ>

Closing the Gap - Luis Perez presentation:
Getting started with Workflow
<https://www.closingthegap.com/automating-accessibility-with-workflow-for-io
s/>

Luis Perez Workflow app video tutorial:
Creating a Workflow
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGbGumpoysk#action=share>

Logan Project - How Workflow can assist learners with disabilities:
Workflow and those with disabilities
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SGiOiMwkO0#action=share>

A Time To Plant

By Sue Brasel
Sue at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:sue at theblindperspective.com>

Plant Basics:

Let's find out about plants. This applies to most plants, but there are some
exceptions. Because we are located in many areas of the world, I want to
focus here on general information.
What is a plant? It is a living organism. There are two types of living
organisms: one is plant the other is animal. We will focus on plants.

There are 3 basic components to plants: roots, stems and leaves.
Roots are the supportive structure at the base of a plant. This part
transports nutrients and water to the rest of the plant. Located under the
soil, we often don't pay attention to this because roots aren't noticeable.
Some roots grow close to the soil level and are shallow. Other roots grow
deep.
An example of a plant with a shallow root system is grass. The root system
stays close to the level of the earth it is anchored to.

Above the root system, above the soil, a stem develops. It supports the
leaves, flowers and fruits, where nutrients and water are transported and
circulated. These then travel back down to the roots.

Leaves have many variations in size and shape. Jan Ingenhousz discovered
that plant respiration absorbs carbon dioxide, and releases oxygen at the
cellular level. Animal kingdom life, with its intake of oxygen and
expiration of carbon dioxide helps balance the cycle of plant respiration.
Photosynthesis, the greening aspect of plants, takes place in the leaves.

A simple experiment, if you want to see the root, stem and leaf structures,
it can be done with a clear drinking glass, raw beans or raw peanuts, and
paper towels.
Hypothesis: a seed will produce life, forming roots, stem and leaves.
Directions:
Dampen several paper towels, place in drinking glass. Place one or several
raw beans or raw peanuts against the glass. Add more damp paper towels to
hold beans in place. For several days, keep this out of direct sunlight,
then it can go into indirect light. Keep paper towel moist, not wet. After a
week or two, roots should form. Watch for a sprout, which will come to the
surface of the towels, and produce leaves.
If your plant does not stick to the glass, it can be planted in soil once
there are 6 leaves, the first two along with 2 more sets. Cover with soil
just over the seed you originally watched grow. At this point, your
experiment will have shown that from a seed, roots, a stem and leaves
develop. Discard the experiment if you don't want to continue watching your
plant grow.
If your vision does not allow you to see, then gently feel the experiment!
It is “thyme” for me to get back to my garden.

The Alternating Duo: Here's To Your Health

By Catherine Hall
Catherine at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:catherine at theblindperspective.com>

4 strategies for creating a new habit in 2018

It is 2018. Let us just take a second to breathe and enjoy the fact that
we’ve all made it through another year. It is time for a new beginning. Now,
I know that many of you are expecting me to talk about New Year’s
resolutions, right? That is what everyone talks about this time of year, so
why shouldn’t I? Well, that is exactly why I am not going to talk about New
Year’s resolutions, you are probably sick of the subject by now! Instead,
let’s talk about habits.

A habit is something people do consistently, often without even thinking
about it. For example, I brush my teeth every night before going to sleep. I
do not have to think about it or remind myself to do it, I just do it as
part of my bedtime routine. For some of you, a habit might be making a cup
of coffee as soon as you walk into the kitchen in the morning or checking
your social media accounts before heading to lunch.

Often, habits are referred to in a negative way. “I need to break my bad
habit of eating dessert after every meal,” or “my coffee habit is a real
problem.” But, many habits can be beneficial and help us structure our days.
If you think about it, a daily routine is really just a bunch of habits
strung together in a particular order.

So, what happens when I want to create a new habit? Here are a few tips to
help form a new habit and make it stick.
Be specific about the habit you want to develop.
Forming a new habit is very similar to setting a goal. When you decide you
want to create a new habit, you are setting a goal that you want to repeat
on a regular basis. This means that the same rules apply to creating new
habits as to setting new goals. Be specific with a goal that is measurable,
achievable, repeatable, and has a specific amount of time attached to it.

Decide where in your day you want the new habit to live.
Setting time aside for your new habit will help make it part of your
routine. Want to start doing yoga every day? Decide what time of day you
want to practice so that you can start associating the activity with the
time that works best for you.

Consistently practice your new habit.
Once you have the first two decisions made, the only way to make the new
habit stick is to practice it consistently. Put it on your calendar or your
“to do” list, then make sure you practice it until it becomes a natural part
of your day.

Be flexible: habits and routines can change as your needs change.

Finally, keep in mind that it takes time to create a new habit, and
sometimes old habits might have to change or be removed to make room for the
new habit. Do not be so attached to your routine that you cannot change it
when it no longer serves you. Dramatic change can be overwhelming, so it can
be helpful to make smaller changes over time, but it can also be helpful to
change routines that aren’t working anymore. Starting every day with a cold
smoothie might be perfect in the summer when it’s warm outside, but once the
weather turns colder, a warm bowl of oatmeal might serve you better.

Creating new habits is a great way to create healthy lifestyle changes and
to accomplish many goals. Happy New Year!

The Rotating Trio: EyeShare

By Russ Davis
Russ at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:russ at theblindperspective.com>

Goals over Resolutions
(The Guilt is Gone)

While jotting down notes for my contribution to this month's Blind
Perspective, it occurred to me that I have not dated any significant
writings with the year, 2018. Yes, I knew that a new year was approaching,
but hadn't taken much notice of just how fast that approach seemed to be
coming, but notice or not, here it is.

I have been pondering just how to present something that acknowledged we
were turning a page on our calendars from an old year to a new one without
too many worn out ideas. Maybe one thing I could do is to promise you that I
won't ask you to make a new year's resolution, (if you're like me, those
sorts of things hardly ever work out anyway). With this being said, I will
confess that the idea for this article has been rolling around in my noggin
for some period of time, and when that sort of thing happens, the only way
to get rid of it is to write about it. The idea in question deals with
something that is very vital to me, i.e., the importance of setting goals.

I recently solicited feedback from a friend, on my idea of writing about
goals and goal setting. I asked just how such a topic could have a "blind
perspective". She reminded me that in my October article, I proposed that,
"it's not always about blindness" She also challenged me to think about my
goals, both past and present, and how some of them did relate to my daily
dealings with a visual impairment.

A good starting point for my own personal assessment, it seemed to me, was
to write down a list of ten important goals, which turned out to be quite
fun. I've shared a great deal about myself with you through my Eyeshare
articles over the past two years, so I don't have any reservations about
sharing my goals now. After reviewing my list, I found that the ten items
were easily grouped together in different categories. Some items I think
would be common for most of us, whether blind or not included: taking better
care of myself by eating a healthier diet; improving my personal financial
situation by saving more and spending less, (I could hear the voice of
financial guru, Clark Howard in my head when I wrote that); and tackling
some attainable home improvement projects. Now, moving into an area where my
goals might be somewhat more personal, the list began with a biggie,
embarking on a journey that would end with my obtaining a Master’s degree. I
have a long-term desire of starting a second career as a mental health
counselor. Of course, making sure that I continually work on improving my
own emotional, psychological and spiritual health, (if I don't, then I don't
think I would be of much help to others). Improving my guitar playing,
learning a new musical instrument and becoming a better writer would all be
great ways of stretching my creative wings, and by doing so, adding joy to
my life.

Some goals I have set that are obviously connected to my blindness are ones
I have been working on for quite some time. I have been studying computer
software programs that make using my PC a lot easier, such as JAWS and NVDA.
I realized last year that I needed to improve my mobility skills, so I
enrolled in classes at a local rehabilitation center for the blind. I never
knew how much I didn't know about how to use my white cane properly and
efficiently, but by accepting instruction from a trained and seasoned
mobility specialist, I am now traveling with more confidence than I have in
years. If you've been reading my articles here over the past couple of
years, you'll know how much I love to travel. I plan to keep that going.
Perhaps a guide dog is in my future, and just in case one is, I took
advantage of some opportunities during 2017, and visited three different
guide dog schools here in the U.S. On that score, I need to give some
serious thought as to whether a service animal is right for me at this point
in my life. Is that a goal? Well, maybe just deciding "yes" or "no" on such
an important question is a goal in itself.

So, there you have it, a glimpse into some of my personal objectives.
Remember I had said earlier that I was not going to prod you into making
some new year's resolutions? Well, I will stick to that promise, but I will
tell you that one reason for listing my own goals was to give you a little
food -for-thought. Not about adopting any of mine, but about encouraging you
to come up with a list of your own, (although if you decided to get a guide
dog who could play acoustic guitar, blow on a harmonica, invest in mutual
funds and use Windows 10, that would be awesome! Will the list you compile
have items related to making your life as a blind person easier and more
enjoyable? Perhaps so. Will it allow you to review previous goals you had
set and accomplished? I hope so, (and if that is the case, then I am
certainly happy for your successes). Will making a list allow you to
organize your thoughts, and then help you determine what goals are truly
important, and which ones need to be at the top of the list? You may only
know the answers to these questions once your list is done. Unlike
"resolutions" often forced upon you at a New Year’s Eve party, making a list
of your ambitions, whether short-term or long-term, need not come with a
price tag, "complete the list or forever feel guilty". Instead making the
list should bring a smile to your face and a bounce to your step.

With that in mind, I will close this article with my sincere wish that this
new year is a terrific one for you and that it brings you everything you
wish for. Oh, I'll also let you in on a little secret. I think that, in
putting a list of my own goals in print, I've given myself some good topics
to write about during the rest of the year here in The Blind Perspective.
Only time will tell for sure.

Reader's Perspectives

ReadersPerspective at TheBlindPerspective.com
<mailto:readersperspective at theblindperspective.com>

Situation: You, and a sighted friend or family member are dining out. The
server comes to the table and asks your friend, or family member what you
want; instead of asking you directly.

We are interested in your reply as to what you would do in this situation.
Perhaps this has happened to you, and you can share how you handled the
situation. Please send your comments to the email address noted above.

Cooking Concoctions

By Maxine
Maxine at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:maxine at theblindperspective.com>

I want to wish all the readers a very Happy New Year. What better way to
begin the New Year than with two delicious bread recipes. I will be focusing
on different bread recipes from around the world for the next few months.
So, if you have a great traditional bread recipe to share, just send your
recipes to my email address above.

Focaccia: Is an Italian flat oven baked bread. It can be seasoned with olive
oil, salt, and herbs. It can be topped with cheese, meat, and vegetables.

Rosemary Olive Focaccia
Ingredients:
2 1/2 teaspoons active dried yeast
1 3/4 cup warm water
2 teaspoons sugar
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons quality extra virgin olive oil
1 cup Greek Pitted Kalamata Olives, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup quality extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
Fresh coarsely chopped rosemary leaves for topping

Yeast dough.:
Combine the yeast, water and sugar in a bowl and let it sit in a warm place
for about 15 minutes until frothy.

Focaccia:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add and combine the flour, salt, olive oil
and yeast mixture. Fit the stand mixer with a dough hook and knead the dough
on low speed until the dough comes together, then increase to medium speed
and continue to knead for another 5-7 minutes until the texture becomes
smooth and soft. If the dough is too sticky add a little more flour.
2. Remove the dough, spray the mixer bowl with olive oil, return the dough,
cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and put it in a warm, draft-free
place to rise for at least 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Coat a standard sheet pan with the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Do not skimp on
the oil. That is not only going to enable some olive oil to absorb up into
the focaccia from the bottom, it is going to produce a lightly crispy bottom
crust.
4. Place the dough on the oiled sheet pan, pulling and pressing it with your
hands to spread it across to fit the size of the pan.
5. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for another 60
minutes or until doubled in size. After about 45 minutes, preheat the oven
to 425 degrees F.
6. Use your fingertips to press lots of deep dimples into the dough without
breaking through the bottom surface of the dough. These deep depressions
will enable the olive oil to absorb into the bread while baking. In
addition, the dimples will also provide a convenient divot in which to place
the olives.
7. Drizzle with olive oil. Be generous. Remember, focaccia is also known as
“olive oil bread” and that is key to achieving the right texture and
consistency.
8. Place the olives in some of the dimples. There is no right or wrong as to
how many olives you use. I space them about an inch or so apart across the
whole sheet pan.
9. Sprinkle generously with fresh rosemary and coarse salt.
10. Bake on the middle shelf for 15 - 20 minutes or until the top is light
golden brown.
11. Let it cool for a couple of minutes before slicing into squares. It is
best served immediately while the crust is still warm and crispy.
Note: Using fresh rosemary is an absolute must, do not substitute.
If you want a milder taste, use black olives instead.

Baguette: Is a rustic oblong French bread, this bread is distinguishable by
its length and crisp crust.
Ingredients:
1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 ½ cups warm water
2 teaspoons natural sea salt
4 – 4 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Directions:
1. Place the yeast, honey and warm water in a large bowl and let stand until
foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the salt and the flour. Use a wooden
spoon to stir 2 cups of the flour mixture into the yeast mixture; stir in
the remaining flour mixture (dough will be stiff).
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead with floured hands
until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Add a little flour, 1
tablespoon at a time as necessary, to prevent dough from sticking.
4. Place in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap (or
a clean kitchen towel) and leave to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2
hours.
5. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
6. Gently punch dough down to deflate it and shape into two oblong
baguettes. Dust tops lightly with flour and place on a lightly greased
baking sheet; let rise uncovered for 30 minutes.
7. Use a serrated knife to cut 3-5 small diagonal slits across the tops of
the baguettes, and lightly sprinkle with cool water.
8. Bake in the middle of oven for 25 - 30 minutes, until golden. Transfer to
a rack to cool.
Note: Best eaten the same day.

Riddle & Brain Buster

By Alex Smart
Alex at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:alex at theblindperspective.com>

Riddle

What starts with “P” and ends with “E” and has more than 1000 letters?
Hint: answer is two words

Answer to the December Riddle
What is always coming but never arrives?
Tomorrow

Brain Buster

Color Exchange
Change one letter in each of the words below to come up with a name of a
color. Example; wed to red.
*while
*veal
*ember
*blank
*blur
*pine
*moral
*bellow
*Blown
*Grange
*tray
*state

Answers to the December Brain Buster
Think of a familiar four letter word that can have either E R or EST added
to the end to make a new word unrelated in meaning to the original word. All
three words are uncapitalized.
Temp; temper, tempest

Letter to the Editor

By Karen Santiago
Karen at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:karen at theblindperspective.com>

Jeffrey Friedlander, from Ohio posed the following question to me: Do you
have The Blind Perspective Newsletter available in braille format? As I told
Jeffrey, we do not currently provide this publication in braille. Sometime
back, Nat, the author of The Braille Highway segment asked the readers for
their opinion on this topic. There wasn’t much interest among the readers,
so we did not pursue it any further.
However, I would like to once again ask you, the readers, would you be
interested in receiving The Blind Perspective Newsletter in a braille format
each month? If there is a significant number of readers who wish to have the
newsletter in braille, then we may need to charge a subscription fee to
offset some of the cost. Please email me at my address above and let me know
your thoughts.
Thank you, Karen

The Blind Perspective

Where we aim to keep you informed and entertained
The Blind Perspective <http://www.theblindperspective.com/>
Subscribe by sending an email to: TheBlindPerspective+subscribe at groups.io
<mailto:theblindperspective+subscribe at groups.io>

Thank you for reading the Blind Perspective!

© 2015-2018 All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be
reproduced in any way without the prior expressed written permission of The
Blind Perspective.

THE END

The Blind Perspective
Administrative Team
Remember it Pays to be Plugged in to The Blind Perspective Where we Aim to
Keep You Informed & Entertained!
Email Us At: info at theblindperspective.com
<mailto:info at theblindperspective.com>
www.theblindperspective.com <http://www.theblindperspective.com>