[NFB-Seniors] NFB of Nebraska Senior Division - November Meeting- TOMORROW - Special presentation a tagging system - Non-Members Welcome

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Nov 10 20:37:34 UTC 2019

Hi You All

RE: Our meeting for November is TOMORROW! - Monday the 11th

Non-members are welcome

Topic: Special guests, staff from WayAround. To describe and answer our
questions about their new app and tagging system.

>From their website: Tag All Your Things. Use the WayAround app for iOS or
Android, and our smart WayTagsT to add helpful information to items around
your home and office. The simple tag-and-scan system lets you add a custom
description for any item plus more details like washing instructions or
expiration dates. Once you've listed everything you want to know, just hold
your device close to the WayTag to transfer your information. Easy-peasy.

Here is a link to their website: http://wayaround.com

Contents of this message:

*When and how to get on the call

*Agenda

*The NFB Pledge

* Minutes and Treasurer's reports are coming

*#1 When and How to Get On the Call:

Date: November 11th

Time: 5:00 Pacific; 6:00 Mountain; 7:00 Central; 8:00 Eastern

Phone: 1-712-451-0011

Access Code: 345154Pound

*#2 Agenda:

-First- Come to order, introductions, say our NFB pledge

-Second- Presentation by staff of WayAround.

-Third- Secretary & Treasurers Reports

--OLD BUSINESS:

-Membership- do make calls to past members who have not joined us during
recent meetings. And/or think of someone new to call and invite to join us
for this or next month's meeting.

-Any other old business you may bring

--NEW BUSINESS:

-Anything you may bring

*-Finally- Brags & Drags

*#3 Our NFB Pledge:

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

*#4 Reports:

**Minutes from October:

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION SECRETARY's
REPORT

Monday, October 14, 2019

The NFBN Senior Division met by telephone conference Monday, October 14,
2019. President Robert Newman called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM CDST.
Members present were: President Robert Newman, Vice President Barbara Loos,
Secretary Linda Mentink, Treasurer Cheryl Livingston, Board Member Nancy
Oltman, Chris Boone, Gina Finnell, Walt Hively, Brad Loos, Steve Senteney,
and Jerry Whitlow. The only guest was Peg Halverson.

Robert explained about his wife Bonnie's accident, which forced them to miss
the cruise they were to be on.

Linda recited the NFB Pledge. Cheryl will recite it next month.

Linda read the September Secretary's Report. It will be made a part of the
record of the organization.

Cheryl read the Treasurer's Report as follows:

Treasurer's Report Senior Division Monday, October 14, 2019 Beginning
Balance  $ 1,205.33 Expenses PAC Plan for Oct  $      15.00 Ck # 1237 Oct 4,
2019 to NFBN  $      95.00 Registration for Jerry Whitlow Ck # 1238 Oct 14,
2019 to Jerry Whitlow  $      55.00 hotel-remainder of scholarship amt Total
Expenses  $    165.00 Deposits Dues for 15 members  $    150.00 sale of
clickers  $      14.00 Total Deposits  $    164.00

  Ending Balance   $ 1,204.33

Respectfully Submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

It will be made a part of the financial record of the organization. We
affirmed that we agree with Cheryl's decision to send Jerry a check for $55,
which is the balance of the scholarship money.

At our annual meeting, we forgot to approve the scholarship for the 2020
state convention. Peg was trying to understand the process. She asked why we
require recipients to pay some, rather than giving enough money to cover all
convention expenses. We explained that it isn't really a requirement, but we
believe that they value the convention experience more if they contribute
some of their own money. Cheryl moved, Chris seconded, that we offer a
scholarship next year to someone. The motion carried. We will have a
committee of two people who will talk to applicants privately.

Those who went to the State Convention shared highlights. Jerry said it was
overwhelming, but it brings to light what the Federation is all about:
education, technology, chapters and state affiliates, and what goes on
behind the scenes. She mentioned the love and help of the people there. She
appreciated the Senior Division awarding the scholarship.

Robert asked how the Senior meeting was, and we gave him a quick rundown.
There was lots of energy. We ran out of time, so we need to ask Amy if we
can have two hours.

Linda always appreciates the personal stories. Brad and Chris agreed. Chris
was glad to hear from the new Library Director. Mike and Carlos did a nice
job on the Commission report from the perspective of the Commissioner and
the Executive Director. Brad asked what we thought of Barbara's tactile
activity, about which he and Barbara explained for those who weren't there.
We thought it was fun. Chris mentioned that the Blind Parents and the At
Large Chapter meetings will well attended, and our scholarship winners were
awesome this year. Chris liked having the Tonight Show Friday night, and
that Stephanie involved the scholarship winners. Chris mentioned the
legislative program. Barbara and Peg thought it was really great to have all
three perspectives: the Senator, the Federation and the Aide. Nancy really
enjoyed the banquet speech, and wondered if anyone told Robert that he got
elected by unanimous vote for President of the Senior Division again. Kim
did a really fine job with the At varge Chapter meeting, and they had good
conversation. The staff at the hotel did a really fine job too. The food was
good, but there was way too much.

There was lots of discussion about making short videos for Cameo Rogers and
the Activity Directors here in Nebraska. These will be done at Brad and
Barbara's home. Robert said that Eric Buckwalter will shoot the videos, and
we will pay him.

Jerry asked if there is any NFB literature she could hand out. She'd like to
have some to leave at the Miracle Ear Shop in Kearney. She can order
literature from the Independence Market and put her return address label on
them. Robert will email jerry the telephone number.

Barbara was talking to the Way Around lady, who said she or someone from her
group would be willing to come on one of our calls some time if we wanted to
have that person as a speaker. The topic would be Way Around Tags that you
can put on things.

BRAGS and Drags. Robert's drag is what he mentioned earlier about Bonnie
being hurt, forcing them to miss the cruise.

Barbara's drag is that their phone may quit before the end of the meeting.

Gina's drag is that she has to go under the knife again tomorrow. Her
fistula has developed a whistle, so she has to get an angioplasty on it. We
said we'd pray for her and would be thinking of her.

Cheryl's drag is that she has the cold/Flu stuff, and she's feeling a little
rough.

Brad and Barbara are going to Colorado this weekend with one of their
daughters and sons-in-law to visit another daughter and her family.

Barbara reported that we got 4 new people and two increases on PAC.

Linda's drag is that a Columbus Area Chapter member passed away last
Wednesday.

There was no further business, so we adjourned at 8:51 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary