[NFB-Seniors] NFB Seniors Division - Information handouts from our annual business meeting

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 01:28:18 UTC 2020

Hi You All

RE: Information given during our annual business meeting, by two of our
presenters

Our 2020 annual business meeting was packed with a variety of information
and future possibilities. Two of our guest speakers have provided us with
information they wish to be distributed to our membership. The first will be
a notice concerning a research project. They are needing participants who
are blind seniors. Check it out, it is for a helpful communication system,
and it PAYS money to those who work with them on this study.

The second is the summary of a study put on by the American Foundation for
the Blind. The topic was how the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting the lives of
adults with visual impairments. Below is a short description, the complete
document is a PDF attached to this message.

Ruth Sager, NFB Seniors division, President

**#1 The School of Information at University of Michigan is recruiting
adults over the age of 65 with a vision impairment. To participate, you must
own a phone (landline or cell phone) and be able to participate in
interviews by phone.

If eligible, you will be interviewed about how you communicate with other
people and use technology. You may be asked to try a new technology for 1
year and give feedback on it. Participants will receive up to $120 for
participation in the study.

If interested in this research opportunity, please contact Robin Brewer at
734-615-1299 and leave a voicemail or send an e-mail to
visionstudy at umich.edu.

PI: Robin Brewer, PhD

School of Information

University of Michigan

IRB Study Number: HUM0014195

**#2

Flatten Inaccessibility Presented by Dr. L. Penny Rosenblum
prosenblum at afb.org

The Flatten Inaccessibility survey was open April 3 to 13, 2020. The purpose
of the study was to learn about how the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting the
life adults with visual impairments in the United States.

There were 15 original organizations and companies that collaborated in the
study, including the National Federation of the Blind. We had 1,921 surveys
for data analysis.

Five overview survey finding documents are available at
https://flatteninaccessibility.com/results.html. These provide basic
information about the study participants and their concerns.

In late July/early August a report will be posted both on the above web site
and at
https://www.afb.org/research-and-initiatives/flatten-inaccessibility-survey.
You can sign up to be notified the report is available on this page.

Participants had concerns related to accessing COVID-19 testing, use of
transportation and maintaining safety, accessing medications and supplies,
and not having someone with them at the hospital. There were participants
who were not getting to maintain their eye care or other healthcare and this
was concerning.

The participants were well versed in technology with 99% having a
smartphone. Though participants did report that there were issues with
accessibility of apps and websites, they were using these tools to maximize
their independence. They used technology to order groceries, connect with
loved ones, and take part in exercise classes for example.

If you participated in the study, thank you! We hope to secure funding to do
follow-up work on how COVID-19 is impacting those with visual impairments.
This is an important time in the lives of those with vision loss and we have
much to learn that can impact the lives of those with visual impairments for
decades to come.

Dear Reader- You might also be interested in reading a webinar we did last
month - as part of AFB's Leadership Conference.

https://www.afb.org/about-afb/events-and-awards/afblc-2020-overview/virtual-
afblc/flatten-inaccessibility-webinar

This blog post came out late yesterday and focusses on how COVID-19 has made
transportation even more challenging for older adults with vision loss.

https://www.nadtc.org/news/blog/flattening-inaccessibility-part-1/

Respectfully yours,

Robert Leslie Newman

NFBN Senior Division, President

NFB Seniors Division, Second Vice President

NFBN Omaha Chapter, Secretary