[nfb-talk] Letter To Congressman Cummings:

Kenneth Chrane kenneth.chrane at verizon.net
Fri Apr 24 09:17:45 UTC 2009

Dear Congressman Cummings:

As an American who is concerned about equal opportunities for people with
disabilities in our society, I wish to draw your attention to an important
incident in the Department of Education Office for Special Education
Programs.  The DOEd is normally the only source of funding for audio
description for educational videos for classrooms.  Audio description is a
critical accessibility accommodation for students with visual impairments to
be able to acquire vital information from the videos used in classrooms in
K-12 education.  The DOEd did not offer new competition grants for audio
description in 2008, but did announce new competition grants for audio
description for 2009.  Suddenly, without explanation, on or about March 10,
2009, when the application period was set to begin, the new grants suddenly
disappeared from the DOEd website.

I join hundreds of other interested organizations and individuals in
demanding reinstatement of these grants which not only provide equal access
to education for blind students but also provide jobs for disabled
professionals in media production.  I also request an investigation into the
circumstances that lead to the sudden apparent cancellation of these grants.

I am aware that the DOEd budget was recently doubled with a $100 BILLION
appropriation in the reinvestment Act, and these grants would only cost
between $2.5 Million and $12.5 million.  Clearly, if education is the
priority that the new budget would suggest, then blind students should not
be eliminated from the large number of students who will undoubtedly benefit
from such spending.

Below, I have included language from the DOEd website concerning these
grants for your reference.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Chrane

The following information was listed on the Department of Education's
Forecast of

Funding Opportunities.

Program Office:

Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP)

CFDA Number: 84.327

Program Type: Discretionary/Competitive Grants, Contracts, Cooperative
Agreements

Also Known As:

Technology and Media Services for Individuals with Disabilities; also known
as Special

Education-Technology Development, Demonstration, and Utilization; Media
Services;

and Instructional Materials.

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION

The purpose of this program is to: (1) improve results for children with
disabilities

by promoting the development, demonstration, and use of technology; (2)
support educational

media services activities designed to be of value in the classroom setting
to children

with disabilities; and (3) provide support for captioning and video
description that

is appropriate for use in the classroom setting.

TYPES OF PROJECTS

This program supports technology development, demonstration, and
utilization. Educational

media activities, such as video descriptions and captioning of educational
materials,

also are supported.