[nfb-talk] Proposal to Decrease Unemployment Among the Blind

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri Feb 27 19:59:08 UTC 2009

Eddie:

We certainly need ideas and discussion about how to lessen the
unemployment rate for blind persons.  Your idea might help some, but
I don't think it gets at the real causes of the problem.  The problem
isn't getting technology into the hands of the job seeker, it is the
attitudinal barriers against hiring the blind that the sighted public
holds.  Simply put we can't find that many jobs and job sites where
people are willing to give blind guys a chance.  We also need more
work in finding ways and developing  technologies to make different
kinds of job tasks accessible.  Finally, I have observed that many
blind persons who are looking for work just don't have strong enough
computer skills.  Providing them with technology more easily might
help some, but the main problem is training.

Dave