[nfb-talk] Proposal to Decrease the Blind Unemployment Rate

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 28 00:23:10 UTC 2009

Wow. Fantastic idea. If we could get each blind person their own laptop and
a copy of the screen reader of their choice, they could walk into a job
interview with a laptop and show the interviewer what they can do.

I went to an interview for a job as a computer systems administrator one
time and the person interviewing me said, "But you can't use a computer,
you're blind." I explained that I use a screen reader. She said, "But you
can't read your email can you?" I assured her I could but I could tell she
wasn't buying it. I wanted to say, "Look at my resume. I've been working as
a systems administrator for like 20 years. Do you think I could do that if I
couldn't even read my own email?" Needless to say I didn't get that job. But
I started taking my laptop with me to job interviews after that.

You know there is that One Laptop Per Child organization. How about one
laptop per blind person?

What are you going to do next? How are you going to make your idea happen?