[nfb-talk] Screen eader for new computer

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 09:39:38 UTC 2009

Hi, all.

Thanks for the input on the screen reader question.

The landscape seems to be about as I thought it was.  I know everyone has
their preferences and reasons for them.

The one user of Narrator I discussed is I'm sure doing bare bones things.  I
know of one System Access  and one Window Eyes user in town personally.

I've found the additional cost of a Mac to hold true as I was shopping
around over the summer and I would be apprehensive about learning a totally
new OS.

I've been a long time Jaws user so that's the environment I'm most familiar
with.  This would be an important level of security as I will have to jump
several levels of OS to make this transition.

The old desk top I have currently is a Windows 98 second edition and  it has
become extremely limited.  I'm embarrassed to admit I still have that.  I
also have an older model Pac-Mate I picked up second hand but I never became
comfortable with it.  Thus the desire to get the Windows 7 lap top to take
care of both issues.

It's gotten to where I can't reply to E-Mail without the message appearing
as jumbled characters, so I am addressing everyone's comments in one new
message.

I had just about decided the route I was going to take when some of the
alternative ideas and thoughts came to mind.  I have this problem I need to
work on wherein when I try to make decisions I tend to dither too much.

Again thanks for little tour of the landscape.  Have a blessed day.

Bill Outman