[nfb-talk] Mac with Voice Over

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 13 16:21:44 UTC 2009

I bought a Mac Mini about a year ago to give voiceover a try. Voiceover has
a fantastic, human sounding voice. Response time is pretty good. But even
though it is integrated into the operating system, voiceover doesn't work
with all MacOS applications. And it takes way more keystrokes to use than
does jaws.

Switching to a Mac comes with a steep learning curve. You will be trying to
learn both a new operating system and a new screen reader at the same time.
Be prepared for some frustration and don't give up your old machine. You
will need it to google for answers on how to do things in Mac OS and
voiceover.

I wouldn't try to switch to a Mac unless you have some compelling reason to
do so. If you're starting from scratch and have to learn the operating
system and the screen reader anyway, it might be a good idea to start with a
Mac. But I have a compelling reason to try to learn to use a Mac. I do
support for the Math Department at the University of Wisconsin and a lot of
professors use Macs. I had to learn to use a Mac to do my job. Even so, I
found it a laborious and difficult process. If I hadn't been so highly
motivated, I think I'd have given up.

IMO, jaws is still considerably ahead of any of the free screen readers
(although I have not tried system access). There's no way to compare them in
terms of value because it depends on what you want or need. At $700, is jaws
a better value than voiceover is for free? It's impossible to say. I would
even say that comparing voiceover with nvda or orca is impossible because it
depends on what you want in a screen reader.  In other words, if you want a
simple answer like, "Yes, by all means, switch to a Mac because its better,"
you will be disappointed. And I'd be suspicious of anyone who give you such
a simple answer.