[nfb-talk] Need Advice: Transit District Schedule Accessibility

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 8 06:29:08 UTC 2009

In my area, our transit system has undergone a massive redesign, the first in 30 years. With this comes new schedules. Unfortunately, the web-based schedules are in PDF format only. While I know that there have been attempts to make these documents accessible, it's not always easy. There are also maps of the new routes, and those are not easy for screen readers to cope with.

Given this issue, I'd like to hear what others have done or are doing to ensure that these transit schedules are accessible. I have thought about Braille and/or audio schedules, and I'd love to work with the transit district, but I don't know where to begin. I have also thought about the Customer Service line, but that only works when the center is open; it doesn't work after hours. What about automated schedule phone lines?

Given what's happening, does anyone out there have any suggestions on how I can work with the transit district to guide them in offering truly accessible bus schedules? What can I do to help them offer good descriptions of  where the routes stop? If you've done something with your local transit district, what did you come up with? If you have any suggestions, I'd be interested in hearing them. Thanks.