[nfb-talk] blind and wanting to improve things, not get labeled

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 23 22:13:50 UTC 2010

Ryan said:
> Steve, your statements are rather vague here. You say that part of the
> ineptness of government is a matter of perception. Which part is that?
> Would that be the part of the government that allowed the terrorist
> attacks on 9/11 to occur? Would that be the part of the government that
> allowed the financial crisis to hit our country because of their neglect
> and greed? How about the part of the government that goes to Washington
> every two years and fails to keep the many promises they make on the
> campaign trail?

Come on, Ryan! How in the world can you give 911 and the banking crisis as
examples of government failures? The banking crisis was caused by *banks*.
Government may have failed to stop it but it was still the *private* sector
that caused that crisis.  Blaming the government because it failed to stop
banks from going crazy is just ridiculous. That logic is about as backward
as it gets.

And the 911 situation is the same.   President Bush proposed dissolving the
Counter-terrorism Security Group, an organization President Clinton had
created within the NSA to deal with counter-terrorism. Between the time when
President Bush took office and September 11, 2001, President Bush refused to
meet with Richard A. Clarke, the chairman of the CSG and President Bush's
own self-appointed top counter-terrorism advisor.   You can't meet with a
guy who's job you're trying to cut. But Clarke asked many times to meet with
President Bush to warn him about the threat posed by Al-Qida and Osoma
Benladen. The President refused.

Again, it was President Bush's desire to *cut* government that is the
culprit here, not government itself. President Bush saw the CSG as an
unnecessary expansion of government. He underestimated the  threat foreign
terrorists posed to the United States. So to save a few bucks, he put the
nation at risk.

All of this is very well documented. You can read Richard Clarke's book. Its
on bookshare.org. His claims are well documented since even things like
requests for meetings are documented in the White House.  There is no
question that what Richard Clarke says is true.