[nfb-talk] blind and wanting to improve things, not get labeled

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 23:16:53 UTC 2010

burocracy case in point: when I was working back in the 80s and 90s, there
was a crackdown on social security fraud -- or at least they discovered some
major fraudulent abuses of the system. One of these was a person in NY who
had a collection of 47 bogus social security numbers that he was collecting
benefits from -- all going to the same PO box each month.  Think of how much
he must have made even running this scam for a few years.
I think part of the ill treatment of some applicants of ss benefits may be
due to the amount of fraud.  People are scrutinized to make sure they are
really eligible.
I actually got called in to the ss office when I started working after
graduation. I had notified them that I now had a job and they could stop
sending me my ss checks. They did, but then I got a check for $5000 that
they said I was owed. I told them it was wrong, but they told me to cash it.
Finally I put it in the bank until I could figure out what to do with it.
No sooner did I cash it I got a nasty letter in the mail telling me I was
being investigated and should bring my bank statements in for the past 5
years to see if I was elligible for benefits.  I was annoyed. I ended up
taking a whole day off work to sit waiting in the ss office which was filled
with people of various backgrounds. Finally they called my name and I went
back and waited for them to copy all my check statements and look at my
cancelled checks to see what I spent money on.  It was ridiculous.  It all
checked out however, of course.  I used the ss money in school for
disability related things like reader service and aides for assistance with
other disabilities and the rest of my income, which came from my teaching
assistant job went to tuition and housing...  Still they went through
everything with a fine toothed comb -- even asked me to take off my glasses
so they could look at my eyes, and take a picture of me in the wheelchair,
and show my work id.  (Completely invasive.)

Well, sorry. It was funny at best.  They had nothing on me, but they do deal
with peopple who defraud the system, and so they put out nets for fishy
looking cases. LOL

Anyway, have a good laugh at the world when you feel like screaming.
Take care.
--le