[nfb-talk] another front in the access battle

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 23:10:30 UTC 2010

Hi all --
I just read a thread on the blind-l list about the difficulty getting DVS on
local SAP channels.  The problem is that with immigration, the secondary
audio program is being used for spanish translation which preempts DVS.
I know this was mentioned as a problem with DISH network and DirecTV as
well.
My question is, can the 2 blind organizations perhaps try and motivate the
TV networks to support multiple secondary audio tracks rather than one?
This would require modifying hardware to a certain extent, but the result
would make it possible to offer a program in a variety of languages as well
as DVS.
How difficult would it be to lobby for such a change?
First thing needed would be a cost assessment.
I'd be willing to volunteer to work on this problem in some capacity, with
the restriction that I am unable to travel without an aid as I am in a
wheelchair. Perhaps someone who is more mobile could do the leg work.
Or has someone already been working on this problem?
Ideas?
--le