[nfb-talk] Question of Philosophy- fund raising

Reyazuddin, Yasmin Yasmin.Reyazuddin at montgomerycountymd.gov
Mon Aug 30 12:18:27 UTC 2010

Hi Robert and all

All nonprofits do such fundraising. I personally think that selling
items is not a problem. People do not think about fundraising when they
buy girls scouts cookies. They just buy the cookies. So do they buy nuts
or candy bars from us.
Handing literature is a different matter. Our chapter has clear plastic
bins in which we place our brochures for people to have. When they come
to the table, we mention them. The brochures are visible and each have a
different topic. Brochures on aging, diabetes, and Newsline go into one
three tiered bin. The second similar bin has information about Braille
and the parents division. A third bin has fundraising information like
imagination fund and books. People can see the information available and
take what they want.
We stay busy with the sale or the games we have for the kids. We do
answer questions but do not force the literature on the people. This is
my idea of providing information and not begging.

Yasmin Reyazuddin
Aging & Disability services
Montgomery County Government
Department of Health & human Services
401 Hungerford Drive (3rd floor)
Rockville MD 20850
240-777-0311 (MC311)
240-777-1556 (personal)
240-777-1495 (fax)
office hours 8:30 am 5:00 pm
Languages English, Hindi, Urdu, Braille

This message may contain protected health information or other
information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by return mail and destroy
any copies of this material.

Thank you.