[nfb-talk] Enough already!

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Dec 14 04:06:41 UTC 2010

John:

Equaly well, we maintain that under some circumstances -- circumstances
traffic engineers are unlikely to think of -- audible traffic signals might
themselves lead to blind persons being killed.  In fact, we do not know
either way.  The only blind persons in my area whom I know were killed due
to traffic problems crossed the street when there was so much ambient noise
that they were unable to discern whether or not they were safe.  NO
reasonable audible traffic signal would solve this problem.

In any event, we of NFB are not saying that audible signals are always
wrong; in some instances, there is actually some agreement as to the
efficacy of audible traffic signals although there are always curmudgeons
like myself that are perennial doubters.  What NFB is against is the
willy-nilly installation of audible signals *everywhere!*  I'll say more
about this iin a later message.

You might say that I'm giving you a double-standard in that we went at it
hammer and tongs to get devices installed on fully-electric and hybrid
vehicles.  Not so.  There was a demonstrated problem there whereas there
isn't one to my knowledge with APS's.  In fact, in testimony before the
ATBCB in hearings back in 2002, I remember a ACB person from Phoenix saying
that he favored more audible traffic signals because people no longer
respected the lights so he needed further cues as to when to cross --
audible cues for the lights that he just said people no longer respected.
Er, um, what's wrong with this picture?

Mike