[nfb-talk] critical analysis paper

Wm. Ritchhart william.ritchhart at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 15 22:27:23 UTC 2010

Lisa,

I can only contribute based on my own experience.  When I was in high
school, I did not like the residential school setting.  Now after 30 years,
I have totally changed my beliefs on the subject.  I believe the education I
received 30 and more years ago in the residential school setting was far
superior than what children receive today.  Even the children who do not
stay at the school miss much.

We learned those independent living skills from when the school day ended
until it began the next morning.  The school day time was spent for most
students to acquire the academic skills we would need to progress to
college, vocational schools and /or into careers.

We were also fortunate to have other blind peers to hang out with and to
teach and learn from.  The only missing thing was interaction on a regular
basis with sighted kids of our same age.

I believe all this is missing today.  Even for most kids who attend
residential schools.  Most kids today who attend residential schools go home
every day.  They spend so much time on buses that they do not have time to
do much of anything once they get home.  If their parents do not have high
expectations for them, they learn none of the independent living skills that
they will need.  They are also generally pretty tired after starting their
day so early and getting home so late.  They generally don't want to do
anything school related.  They tend to have few friends sighted or blind,
because they are never in one place or the other for long enough to
establish friendships.

Just my thoughts.  Probably no real value for your purpose.

Thanks, William