[nfb-talk] the value of banquet speeches

Kathleen Millhoff kmillhoff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 22:21:26 UTC 2010

Good Morning,
It's been quite a long time since I've had the opportunity to write to
an NFB list. Circumstances alter the ways in which time and resources
can be spent.  I have been able to keep up with things somewhat via
reading "The Braille Monitor" and occasionally reading posts from NFB
members.
Additionally, I have great memories of the one national convention I
was able to attend, and look forward to reading convention information
each year.
By some quirk of fate, or the mail service, or other factors too
numous to consider, I only now read Dr. Maurer's speech to the 2009
convention banquet. I realize the speech has been on the internet for
some time, but I'm one of those who still gets the most pleasure from
reading a braille copy of just about anything.
At any rate, it is a good thing no one had come into work yet, as I
read about the vibrating vest and the games about blind people created
by UNESCO (an organization I have supported in many ways until now.)
Even has I tried to recover from the laughter that sent me into a
coughing fit, to continue reading, I realized the seriousness behind
the words and the implications of what was being said.
I have, over the years, used both Dr. Maurer's speeches, along with
Robert Leslie Newman's "Thought Provokers" in teaching about blindness
to teens, adults, and parents of blind children.  I always cite the
quoted or read or summarized information.  I use the excuse that I'm
not able to reinvent a wheel already so perfectly crafted. But more to
the point, my own thoughts and considerations are sharpened,
crystalized even, by reading the contributions of NFB leaders.
I know that by this time of year, the 2009 convention and its
inspiring speeches are a distant memory for participants and that
people are looking ahead to 2010. But I wonder if there isn't a really
appropriate way to rekindle the fire for many by making speeches such
as the one I've noted here, available in a quck, easy manner, so that
at any given time, a quick tap would open up the words from a banquet
of last year or decades ago: Facebook, Twitter, Google, educational
resources such as ERIC?
And, in case they want to try out that vibrating vest, I'll help. I'm
done laughing about it now and am inordinately curious.
Seriously, I'm now on my way to talk with a mother of a baby who is
newly blind due to bacterial meningitis. I have every good intention
of guiding her to the belief that her son is not a broken human being,
devastating as this illness is.
Thank you all sincerely.

warmest,
kathy millhoff