[nfb-talk] Why I Can't ignore the NFB

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Mar 20 17:10:44 UTC 2010

Brian:

Although I have encountered few intersections wherein an audible signal
provided enough helpful extra information to make their installation
cost-effective or worthwhile (at least in my estimation), I agree with you
that there are some signals that are marginally useful in that they do tell
you when a particular walking path is available. In fact, I'll go further:
although there is always the problem of the image of the blind such signals
impart and there is always the danger that the sighted will deem such
signals a necessity and steer blind persons seeking jobs or residences in
areas without such signals away, if audible signals would either just sound
when their light turned green or give a short countdown followed by the WALK
signal, I wouldn't mind them everywhere in that they would be silent except
for a brief period.

Put another way, what distracts me so much with most audible signals is that
both blind and sighted seem to think them useful to indicate directionality,
i.e., to be homed in on when crossing intersections. This is, to my way of
thinking, downright dangerous in that the homing signals are distracting and
are often distorted by buildings or other obstacles which make their
direction of sound emission problematic to determine. So if signals just
bleeped once and then got out of the way, I wouldn't be so irritated by
them.

Mike Freeman