[nfb-talk] [john at johnheim.com: unethical personal attacks]

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Fri May 28 02:10:53 UTC 2010

Kenneth,

Have you read John's messages?  Last I checked, he did not claim to
be a member of this organization.  Moreover, he insists that the NFB
has an obligation to represent the viewpoint of the blind people who
are not its membership.  Setting aside the sheer impossibility of
this, the discussion inevitably winds up concluding that by blind
people who aren't members of the organization, John means himself.
And by represent, he means change our views so that what he believes
is correct is the policy of the NFB.

No one man has the power to change the policies and direction of this
organization by himself.  Not even Dr. Jernigan had that kind of sway
over the NFB, and he was a lot more charismatic.  Likewise, the words
of Jernigan ring bold, true, and unafraid in the hearts of many.  By
contrast, Heim's words ring of the cheap straw man attacks they are,
intended solely to tear down what we have built.

He then goes on to say that we universally oppose audible pedestrian
signals, descriptive video, access to new technologies, and I would be
shocked if he doesn't also argue that NFB hates guide dogs, though I
don't recall if he's ever made that argument now or not.

Joseph