[nfb-talk] client certificate sign-on (was: captcha)

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Mon Apr 18 16:15:15 UTC 2011

Steve, I'm telling you, there's no downside from the NFB perspective. About
the only possible downside is the possibility of wasting resources. Maybe
the NFB's time could be spent more wisely on the Blind Driver Challenge. And
there is some risk that we'd all get ourselves client certificates and never
get any response from google or yahoo. But stuff like that is the only
downside.

This is an established technology that is free to the web provider. In fact,
this morning, I configured a portion of my own web server to use client
certificate sign-on. You could go out today, find 2 other people who are
already signed up with cacert.org,get yourself a cacert.org account, and use
it to connect to my web server. I don't know where you live and I'm assuming
that because you are blind, you might have a hard time arranging a
face-to-face meeting with 2 other members of cacert.org. But once you got
that done, you'd be all set. It wouldn't cost you a dime except maybe bus
fare to meet up with the people to sign your papers.

Getting a client cert from cacert.org is free but its a lot of effort. But
there are a lot of commercial certificate authorities and the web site
doesn't have to accept certificates from just one certificate authority.
They could accept client certs from Vcacert.org and from Verisign and
Thought and Rapid SSL and as many other certificate authorities as they
liked.  So even if cacert.org disappeared, us blind people would be no worse
off than before. We could still go out and buy ourselves a cert.

I'm willing to help anybody who wants to give this a try. If you live in a
large city or in a university town, there is a good chance you can locate 2
current members of cacert.org to sign your assurance papers. Get started by
going to http://www.cacert.org and click on "Join". Then you can ask it to
show you people in your area who can sign your assurance papers.