[nfb-talk] Fw: look tell

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Mon Apr 18 17:10:12 UTC 2011

I have heard that there is a cheap money-identifier ap for the Apple
I-Phone, and from the below it is the first of a number. I only have a cheap
Track-Phone which will only act as a cell phone, and will not take any extra
software. But I see the day when smart phones will be cheaper, and these aps
will work on other brands. I think this is a good sign. Ed Meskys

Just an FYI.

What is LookTel?

LookTel is a planned suite of assistive solutions for people with visual
impairments or blindness. Designed for the accessible iPhone, LookTel will
automatically scan and recognize objects such as money, packaged goods, CDs,
DVDs, and medication bottles, as well as landmarks. Recognition will happen
in real-time and without delay - there's no need to hold the device still or
take a photo and wait for a result.
LookTel was developed under sponsorship from the National Institute of
Health (NIH), National Eye Institute (NEI), and is the recipient of the
following Grants: 1R43EY016953-01 & 2R44EY016953-0. Blindwisdom Inc.
(www.blindwisdom.org) Many individual end users and researchers at the
Atlanta Research Education Foundation(AREF) of the Veteran's Administration
have collaborated with us to evaluate LookTel in end user trials.

The first available app is the LookTel Money Reader for the iPhone and iPod
Touch, which instantly recognizes US currency and speaks the denomination. A
Mac version of the application will also be available soon.