[nfb-talk] need help with jaws

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Thu Jun 9 21:18:30 UTC 2011

Yeah, I think you understand what I'm saying exactly. As I said in another
message, I expected FS to tell me it was a known bug and that they couldn't
do anything about it. But then they told me they couldn't replicate it and I
started thinking it was just me. I just figured there was no harm in asking
FS about the problem especially since nvda does read the text in a full
screen command window.

What I'm really trying to do is run curses applicationson a linux machine
via ssh. Specifically, dpkg and the kernel configuration program. These
programs run in character mode like an old DOS screen. A maximized ssh
window does okay most of the time but the problem is that a mistake when
setting kernel config parameters can keep your machine from booting. I don't
know if you ever had to fall back to a previous kernel when booting a linux
machine but its really a PITA. So what I've been doing when I really need to
make sure I don't make any mistakes is stop jaws, load nvda, and put the ssh
window into full screen mode. Either that or reboot my desktop into linux
and use speakup.

Well, I'm getting a little off topic for this list. I guess the lesson is
that if you really want to talk to a linux machine, use another linux
machine.