[nfb-talk] Emergency response training

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 07:10:28 UTC 2011

And why shouldn't you be expected to do the same things other
employees were?  Good for your boss on that score.  Bet some of your
co-workers were surprised by what blindness didn't stop you from
doing.  Probably was a good learning experience for them.

I still haven't dropped the word "blind" on them yet, and I don't
intend to.  The fact is that any situation in which citizen
responders are likely to be helpful is one in which I WOULD be
responding, like it or not.  They've got two choices, as I see it:

1. They can train me as they would anyone else.  I will learn
everything they teach, work with a buddy when possible, and be
prepared to assist professional responders by having everything done
and documented in an efficient manner that allows them to pick up
where I leave off.

2. They can refuse to train me with some BS excuse.  I will still
respond when needed, acting on my own best judgment instead of their
training.  My judgment will be informed by what I learn about their
training practices and methods on my own, but I won't be functioning
as part of a team and it might take extra time for professionals to
pick up where I leave off because I don’t know how to make that
process nice and simple for them.

Either way, if something happens I’m going to respond.  What anyone
else thinks about my ability to do so is irrelevant.  I am going to
look at each situation individually and make my best judgment about
what either to do or not do based on the individual circumstances of
that situation.  That must necessarily include things that cannot be
known in advance and my own physical ability in that specific
instance.

Which is of course exactly what CERTs are trained to do: Judge the
individual case based on everything they know, including their own
ability in the moment.  Doing otherwise places CERTs at risk of
becoming victims themselves and could potentially deny others the
benefit of their training, preparation, and hopefully good sense and
clear head.

Given that, I’d say it’s in the city’s best interest to welcome me to
the program.  Let’s just hope they see it the same way.  *grin*

Joseph