[nfb-talk] latest rules on DVS

T. Joseph Carter tjcarter at spiritsubstance.com
Sun Sep 11 17:30:00 UTC 2011

The major obstacle I see to descriptive video being mandated at this
time is the same qualm I had when it came up the last time: There is
not a whole lot of standardization in this.  Right now, descriptive
video tracks wind up on the second, or third, or possibly some other
audio track.  Or it's just not there at all (which is the usual
case.)  Or it's there at the source and gets stripped out by the
broadcasters (that happens too!)

Seems that mandating it is kind of putting the cart along side the
horse, if not before it.

The counter-argument is that there won't be any standards until it
has been mandated and the industry is forced to take notice.  I fear
though that the mandate will go forward with the same ad hoc scheme
we have right now unless some action was taken likely by this
organization.

Joseph