[nfb-talk] why is it important to join an organization of the blind?

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 01:36:38 UTC 2012

Fellow Federationists,

As I have become more and more active in the blind community and
have met more and more blind people, I notice that a lot of blind
people are not affiliated with any organization of the blind, for
one reason or another.  Some say they are put off by the
political arguments between the NFB and ACB; some say they don't
want to be "tied" to one organization; some say they don't agree
with either organization's philosophy and don't want to identify
themselves with either organization and their philosophy, and
there are other reasons as well.  I try to explain to them the
value of the Federation in my life, and how joining an
organization of the blind connects you with a diverse network of
resources, who can help answer almost any question they would
have related to blindness.  I also try to explain to them that if
they had any problems, being a part of an organization would help
them with their advocacy efforts; the more people you have
advocating, the more effective the advocacy is.  But they still
don't want to be affiliated with an organization.  So I want to
get your thoughts on these questions; why do you think it is
important to be a member of an organization of the blind? Of what
benefit/value is an organization to its members, and to blind
people at large? Some people have said to me, "Sighted people
don't have any organizations dedicated to their concerns as
sighted people; why should I join an organization dedicated to
blindness?" Still others have said, "Don't you (Federationists)
want to be equal with sighted people? If so, then why do we
(blind people) need to be organized in some kind of organization
exclusively of and for the blind and people associated with the
blind?" These are some interesting questions; what would your
thoughts on this!
Thanks,

Chris

nuisance."