[nfb-talk] Hi from New Member

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Thu Jan 3 20:07:32 UTC 2013

I just got on this list, so I guess I should introduce. I have been in fandom since 1955, and have been to Worldcons in New Orleans, Orlando, DC, and Baltimore, to Disclave twice, and several Darkovercons near Baltimore and in New Ark DE. We are getting to be tired grumpy old farts, and are thinking about becoming snowbirds. With age I am not as stable on my feet as I used to be, and am looking for a place with no icy sidewalks to fall on. Sandy is talking about somewhere between North Carolina and Florida, and asked me to check out where there might be fan groups for me to interact with, and cons to replace Arisia, Boskone, and Lunacon.

I posted on Trufen and NESFA Open, and got suggestions to go out west to Las Vegas, LA, or Seattle, but that is too far to think about driving there with changes of season. I do not think we could get around without a car, so we need a place we could drive to in 2 or 3 days.

First year we would try it out by renting a trailer, cabin, or apartment.

Also I would hope there is a local chapter of the National Federation _OF_ the Blind where I could participate.

Best, Ed Meskys