[nfb-talk] Guide Bots

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu May 30 13:20:31 UTC 2013

Ed,

I, too, tried the Sonic Guid back in the 1970's and I found it to be a fascinating device.  The price was prohibitive, though, as
you mentioned, and as I recall, the glasses were a little bulky.  Still, it was interesting how it really could convey some
textural information.  You mentioned tree bard versus a sign post.  I remember being able to tell the difference between a flat
wall and one that had drapes hanging in front of it.  A big drawback, though, was that as I recall it would pick up the signals
from other sonic guides which would make it impractical at a convention if such a device became popular.  Still, it was
interesting.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson