[nfb-talk] Independent Living Skills

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Thu Jul 10 17:38:18 UTC 2014

And didn't that feel good to do that ordering on your own?  That feeling in
itself makes it worth having and developing those skills.  And having those
skills available to you also gives you some choices about how you will do
things.  For example, in a crowded situation, you might choose to go sighted
guide with someone and move quickly, or you still may choose to just use
your cane and just walk with that person that way.  One of my big
independence stories involved getting an unlimited mobility pass when I was
attending a residential school in Connecticut.  This allowed me to travel
all over Hartford and to take the bus home from school every Friday without
my parents having to get me.  What a feeling!  These skills served me in
later life, when I went to college and at various times when I moved.  For
example, when I moved to Cleveland, Ohio, I wanted to get a hair cut before
starting my job.  So, I simply asked about barber shops, called the bus
company to get bus numbers, and away I went.  Those steps towards greater
independence, whether it's learning how to check in when you are about to
take a flight, learning to cook certain things you thought might be
dangerous, or learning how to order a meal on your own at a restaurant, are
all steps in the right direction, and whatever that step is, enjoy the heck
out of that feeling.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.