[nfb-talk] Independent Living Skills

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 13:26:31 UTC 2014

My dad and stepmom didn't know about the NFB when I was growing up in the
sixties, but still, they taught me the same philosophy and taught me to take
care of myself. When my dad and biological mother divorced, I lived with my
paternal grandparents for a couple years and became quite spoiled. My Granny
wasn't capable of not spoiling a grandchild! So, when Dad and Mom--my
stepmom and heart mom--got married, Mom sat me down and told me in no
uncertain terms that nobody was going to feel sorry for me anymore and spoil
me. I would have household chores and would be treated like anyone else. She
loved me, loves me, so much. She wasn't being mean or unkind. She followed
through with what she said. She taught me to clean my room, wash dishes and
match clothes so I could dress myself. When I was nine and asked to learn to
cook, she taught me how. I learned years later, that she was terrified at
first and called my doctor while I was at school. What if she burns herself?
My doctor asked, do you ever burn yourself when you cook? When mom said yes,
he said, don't worry then; she'll learn. And I did. Sadly, she and dad split
up when I was almost fourteen, but I've never forgotten what she taught me
and how she believed in what I could do and could be, not what I couldn't do
or be. The only way my parents didn't prepare me for the real world was
common for blind or sighted kids back then, they didn't teach me about
finances or budgeting. So, when I moved out on my own, I was able to keep my
house clean, cook, do my own laundry, grocery shop and all the rest, but I
made terrible messes of my finances till I had to learn some hard lessons.
My parents taught me the independent living skills, and because of that,
I've been able to be independent, live my life as I choose, with a few
normal bumps along the way.

Sherry