[nfb-talk] Batman

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Feb 27 16:50:33 UTC 2015

John,

I believe I understand and agree with what you are saying.  I've always said, for example, that the most important
thing I learned in travel class was that getting lost was not the end of the world.  Once you have gotten lost and
figured your way out of it, you are no longer as afraid of getting lost.  While I cannot claim to have broken my
nose, I have several scars on my forehead from collisions with various objects, some before I used a cane when
growing up and some through my own carelessness.  I can remember being four years old and running into a street
light pole while playing outside and getting a cut that required stitches.  I was very upset at the time and I
remember being afraid to go outside.  After a few days, my mother told me it was time to go outside and play again.
Well, I went outside and soon got over it all.  I realize now, though, how very hard it must have been for her to
do that, but how very lucky I was that she did.  I am a firm believer that if one takes a fall, two things happen.
One learns a little something about mistakes they have made that will make it less likely that the same thing will
happen again.  The second thing is that after getting up from a fall, the fall itself has lost some of its ability
to scare me.  I think this analogy can be applied to a lot of things we do.

I don't believe that we need to have a sink or swim mentality, nor do we need to be completely unsympathetic when
we observe misfortune.  Still, if we can help one another not allow mistakes or accidents tie us up in knots, we
will be doing one another a service.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:39:06 -0600, John Heim via nfb-talk wrote:

>My totally unsubstantiated opinion is that  there is a direct
>correllation between how well you handle being blind and the number of
>times you've broken your nose. You'd expect that to be an inverse
>correlation but it is not.

>In other words, I think the more you've broken your nose, the better
>you've been at handling your disability. I don't want to offend people
>who have never broken their nose. It'sfar from a perfect correllation.
>It's more like if you've broken your nose a lot of times, you're
>probably also doing well as a blind person. But I wouldn't say that if
>you haven't broken your nose that means you're not doing well.

>PS: I left the list for the good of the list.  I'll leave again if I
>think I'm only making things worse.

> > On 2015 08:12 PM, Chris Nusbaum wrote:John, Welcome back! It's good
>to see you contributing again. I hope you'll stay with us this time.
>Yes, I listen to this NPR special as well and it was a good show. Daniel
>Kish i'm times be a very controversial figure in our community because
>of the amount of media attention he generates. Sometimes, I think, The
>message that he and we are trying to convey â¬
 that is, the inmate
>normality of blind people â¬
 can be lost in the aura of Mistry which
>tends to surround is echolocation. However, I think the reporters who
>did this show did very well in their assessment of the impact that
>expectations can have on us. They get it, and sodas Dan. I would be
>interested to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has listened to this
>program. Just my thoughts, Chris Nusbaum
>>> On Feb 26, 2015, at 7:05 PM, John Heim via nfb-talk <nfb-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> First, I'm back. It's been years though. Surely, no hard feelings any more right?
>>>
>>> Anyway, the reason I just could not stay away is that I just listened for the second time to the Invisibilia
podcast about Daniel Kish. Daniel Kish is the blind guy who is so good at echo location that he can ride a bike.
The point of the story though is about how expectations of yourself and others do so much to determine your success
in life.