[nfb-talk] Wanting to See and the notion of the, defective

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 16:53:52 UTC 2017

Hello John,

You have made some interesting points that I'd like to explore a little.
I believe that a problem exists in applying the definition of, defective.
The problem with this approach to understanding blindness is one of degree.
At what point does one become, defective.

Is my friend who wears glasses, defective? What about my sibling who can't
walk more than about one hundred yards because of their obesity and the pain
in their knees?
It is a fact that most people gradually lose vision by degrees as they age
and will, at some point, need glasses. At what point do these so-called,
nondefective, people step into the defective group?
A relative of mine only grew to be four feet tall and, since she was not of
average height, she had to be very innovative in some circumstances to get
things done. Should she be called, defective, since she couldn't do things
the same as everyone else of average or above-average height?
And, keeping the topic on the blind community, at what point does the amount
of sight one has get one into the nondefective range? For example, I have an
acquaintance who has extremely strong glasses which allow him to function as
an average seeing person. Without those glasses he cannot see well enough to
function as a seeing person. Is he, defective, or does the ability to
benefit from the technology to produce high-powered spectacles somehow
negate his membership in the, defective, group, even though his eye
condition remains? If he is defective, then what about all the others
wearers of spectacles who can't function without their glasses? At what
point does one's degree of vision without one's glasses put one in the,
defective, group? It doesn't seem possible to answer these questions
sensibly. Is one's membership of the defective group to be judged by the
amount of assessed vision, or by one's competence with aids such as glasses.
If one opts for the functional definition, then I know many extremely
capable blind people, whose achievements and functioning as successful
people far exceed the majority of sighted people I know.

How about conditions other than vision loss.  how does one decide which of
the mental conditions classify one as defective? History is replete with
characters who suffered from manic depression or bipolar disorder who
achieved astonishing things; composers, painters, writers, preachers,
military generals and so on, despite their mental health issues. Should we
call them defective.
And, what about those millions of folks who are second or third generation
welfare recipients, who have not learned how to function as working,
budgeting, educated members of this society, but cannot manage without
welfare? Clearly, they are dependent on welfare for their support. Are these
folks to be considered, defective, and, if so, at what point do those who
are working with organisations to get an education and learn work skills,
budgeting and good parenting skills, become nondefective? What about those
who are living in a country where they cannot speak the language? Clearly,
they are at an incredible disadvantage and are surely far less able to make
their way successfully in society than those who speak, read and write the
native language? Is it useful to class them as, defective, if they refuse to
learn the language, as many migrant women did when they moved to new
countries during the 1960s? Is there, then, a place for classifying certain
people as, socially defective? By that definition, should we classify those
who commit serious crimes as socially defective and spare them from the
legal consequences of their antisocial behaviour. And, if we do, at what
level of crime does one move into the defective class? I'm not being at all
facetious here, I believe I'm raising legitimate problems with the approach
of deciding which humans are, essentially, broken or not perfect. What
constitutes a perfect human and what measure can be applied to assess when
an individual has enough difference to move into the, defective, category.

It seems much more helpful to me so see human difference as just that,
differences. Though differences vary by degrees in terms of how they effect
individuals, it seems like a fairly arbitrary activity to try and decide
which differences render people defective. And, in the final analysis, what
does the application of such a set of measures achieve? Is it socially
beneficial for the obese man who is socially isolated and cannot work
because his weight prevents him from leaving his house, to think of me as
defective because I cannot see, although I am employed, mobile and socially
involved? If those of us who don't have schizophrenia think of those who do
as defective, even though there are many with that condition who use
medication and do just fine, how does this benefit society? And, should
those with schizophrenia consider blind people as defective when they
themselves need medication to enable them to function to their potential in
society?

Having thought about this approach, I don't believe that it can be a
functional model, since the criteria for determining, the defective, is
necessarily arbitrary.

Warmly,
Heather