[nfb-talk] Wanting to See

kaye zimpher kaye.j.zimpher at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 00:20:48 UTC 2017

I would never think of myself as "defective." Being blind doesn't make me
defective. Being a woman doesn't make me defective. Being overweight doesn't
make me defective. Those things make me the person I am. Acceptance is when
we can look at ourselves, and/or our situation and say "I am who I am, and
I'm alright with it." I know that as a blind person I have been places and
done things that some sighted would never desire. I, unlike many that I come
across in my daily work have a job that makes me productive, a home that I
keep up, meals that I cook, and a life in the community that I truly enjoy.
Having said that, how could I or someone like me even consider that we are
defective. Do we do things differently? Sure we do. As I told someone
recently about an issue of race, "Our differences should be celebrated, not
looked down upon or hated.