[nfb-talk] Miles Vorkosigan

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Mon Jul 2 14:11:53 UTC 2018

Anybody here, besides me I mean, a fan of the books of Lois McMaster
Bujold? She created this disabled character named Miles Vorkosigan who
seems to have the mindset of a disabled character pegged. I mean, for me
at least, the way Miles thinks about his disability is exactly the way I
think about my disability.

There are 2 things, specifically, about the character that resonated
with me. First, when someone tells Miles he can't do something because
of his disability, he becomes all that much more determined to do it.
The worst thing you can do is make fun of him, that will make him
absolutely determined to prove you wrong. The second thing is that he
just keeps going no matter what. I have always felt that being disabled
is such a beat down that if you don't kind of artificially keep going,
you'll never succeed at anything. Get what I'm saying? It's not so much
being brave as it is fear of failure.  It's almost an advantage of being
disabled, learning to just keep going no matter what.

I have asked only a handful of other disabled people to read these books
and they were no where near as enthusiastic as I am. The character of
Miles Vorkosigan didn't resonate nearly as much whth them as he does
with me.

Jack Heim, john at johnheim.com
"In my position, it is somewhat important that I not say any foolish
things."
  -- Abraham Lincoln