[nfb-talk] Washington Post: Trump ordered Braille removed from elevators in Trump Tower according to execs

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 21:14:29 UTC 2018

US Presidents control the economy only slightly better than they control the
weather.  Presidents are quick to take credit for healthy economies and to
duck blame when the economy suffers.  Trump exaggerates his influence over
our current robust economy.  He ignores the evidence of equally impressive
performances of previous Presidents.  At the same time, it is entirely
possible that a President's behavior can ruin the economy.  The jury is
still out, but many are increasingly alarmed by Trump's decision-making
regarding the economy.  Critics point to the potential follies of tax cuts
that unashamedly favor the wealthy and hurt the middle class, exploding
deficits caused by the combination of those tax cuts and uncontrolled
spending, and nationalism in trade.  Our biggest concern at the moment is
the likely rollback of SSA benefits, Medicare, and Medicaid as Congress
leans towards slashing human services to counter the deficit.  There won't
be much empathy for social safety nets in the near future.  Normally, I
would refrain from joining discussions like this, but the right of blind
citizens to make our way in this world depends on our speaking up for
ourselves.  No organization does this better than the NFB, so I think it's
appropriate to discuss such hot button topics respectfully.

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com