[NFB-Talk] Totally Blind Climatologist

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Wed Dec 18 17:17:40 UTC 2019

I suggest you broaden your search a little. I would look for people in
the general area of atmospheric modeling, not necessarily
climatologists. Some of that work is done by computer scientists,
physicists, and mathematicians. And don't require them to be a member of
the NFB. Even then I wouldn't hold out much hope. If you become a blind
climatologist, I am going to say there is a good chance you will be the
only one. Its not as bad as it sounds though. I manage the high
performance computer cluster for a Math department at at a university
and I'll bet I'm the only blind person in the world doing that.

The people that I work with who do atmospheric modeling are
mathematicians. they use a wide variety of tools but most of them are
fairly accessible. Some write their own code in C++ and Fortran. Others
use Matlab and Mathematica. Its all on linux. All supercomputers run
linux these days. So I don't know if some of that same work is done in
Windows. If somebody wanted to work in Windows, they'd be working with
somebody else, not me.

I don't think there is any great trick to this kind of thing though.
Study hard, be aggressive. Don't take no for an answer. Believe in
yourself. If other people do it, so can you.

Have you passed calculus yet? If you have already passed calculus, I'd
say your chances are good.