[NFB-Talk] Questions about NFB conventions and seminars

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Fri Feb 21 12:25:28 UTC 2020

A quick answer before I head to work:
The Washington Seminar started out, primarily, to educate Congress about our
issues, beginning in 1973. It has morphed into a mini-convention, but that
is not its primary purpose. But this is one of programs that we raise funds
for.
For another thing, the NFB is a consumer organization, first and foremost. I
think that many of these disability conferences have more participation by
professional workers in the field and less by actual people with
disabilities. You may have some counter-examples.
Chika is correct; it costs a lot to attend a convention, regardless of the
registration fee. Different organizations make different arrangements with
hotels and convention centers as to who will pay for what and why.
I'm outa here. Time to head down to NLS, where, among other things, we are
looking at prototypes of refreshable braille displays we hope to be able to
provide on loan to patrons eventually.
Who lobbied to get this particular activity started? Our director believes
strongly in braille, but the NFB pushed Congress to provide supplemental
funding to get this braille eReader project started.
Just my opinion, as both an NFB member and an employee in the engineering
section of NLS.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com