[NFB-Talk] Food for Thought: Topical Podcasts

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 30 20:11:46 UTC 2020

How true that is. And especially in this time of Covid, maybe it's time to
think about getting something off the ground.

I am aware that we could see some good news and a way out of this pandemic
by spring or summer of next year, but while we're still in the middle of
this, why not start something?

So I thought I'd ask some questions to get the ball rolling. If National
looks at this list, I think they'd encourage this kind of dialog.

So what do we want to do with any new podcasts. I have a few ideas, such as
a podcast for a younger audience, topical podcasts on technology and home
management. Braille and travel might be harder to do as podcasts just
because they're so hands on, but maybe Braille tips could work, as could
travel tips. And we could also do book reviews, philosophy discussions and
the like.

Anyone who has seen my posts on the Blind Kid lists know that I've been
wondering about the need for a podcasts targeted at a younger audience. I
got this idea from the Dream Big podcast at

www.dreambigpodcast.com <http://www.dreambigpodcast.com>

This podcast has a young host who has been doing it since she was seven. She
got the idea because her parents were listening to podcasts in the car. The
host couldn't relate to the presenters, but she knew young people her age
wanted and needed to hear these positive messages. She asked her parents to
help her look online. The host found that while there were many podcasts for
children, most were stories and science podcasts, but none focused on self
improvement. She finally decided to start the Dream Big podcast, and it has
helped her grow as a person. I've been impressed at her maturity, and I can
tell she's bound to become a fantastic young woman.

As it also happens, the host has interviewed our own Eric Weihenmeyer on her
show. When I saw that, I was stunned.

Any thoughts? Thanks.