[NFB-Talk] Blind Cosmetologists?

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 17:14:00 UTC 2021

Absolutely!

I'm not sure who is in the field now, but I had a close friend who was blind and in cosmetology.  She worked at Hairmaster in Tacoma, WA, and there was one whose first name was Shelly who lives back east.  I never met her but heard of her.

I asked my friend how she dealt with hair color, and she said she would follow the box instructions, and at various points during the process, would check with the customer to see if the hair had processed to the desired shade.

The only thing she wasn't comfortable with was clipper cuts, but she did everything else, including the scheduling.

If she already has a reputation and a following already, then she should be able to do this.  However, my friend, after working several years, decided to go back to school, got her Masters, and became a mental health counselor.  She loved the field, and made more money than she had as a cosmetologist, but still did hair for friends and family on the side.

Judy