[Nfbc-info] Convention reports

David Bear BearSFO at PacBell.NET
Mon Jul 19 06:18:41 UTC 2010

[ finally caught up with being away from work for a week ]

As always the Ham Radio group was the very first item on the agenda,
meeting early on Saturday morning.  The Technology session was
oversold and if you did not pre-registered (and most people didn't
know that was necessary) you were not allowed to attend.  The
Computer Science Division met Sunday afternoon where Microsoft came
to talk about Windows accessibility; a new service to solve CATTCHA;
and a panel on accessibility on Macintosh.  The driving simulation
and the display of the self-driving Ford Escape was definitely
something I hope everyone visited.

The general sessions and the banquet speeches were good as always,
but sitting outside the hallway at the hearing assistance table let
me see a whole different side of the national convention.

Throughout the whole convention I ran into this lady several times
being accompanied by her teenage grandson - he was taking her
everywhere: trying out the driving simulator, getting the FM receiver
amplifier, sitting through the general sessions, walking to the
restroom...  it is hard to find such a good kid these days.

Something else that would never happen in California:
construction.  Even though the atrium is about 3 floors high, the
construction, using gas-powered equipment and without any covering,
made the place really noisy and dusty and smell like exhausts, not
just around the construction zone but all over the place.  The
weather was horrible (thunderstorm and heavy rain) and with everyone
staying indoor most of the time.

--David