[Nfbc-info] Convention reports

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 20 04:55:44 UTC 2010

Dear Mary & All,

I thought the NOPBC (National Organization of Parents of Blind Children)
Conference Program "EDUCATION: TOP DOWN & BOTTOM UP" was great this year.
Many relevant topics were covered in a real & practical way.

I enjoyed interacting with other fathers during "Dad's Night Out".

It seemed to me that there were more kids overall this year at the
convention.

The Cane Walk was so well attended that they ran out of both sleep shades &
travel instructors, so families ended up having to pair up. I have always
enjoyed the 1-on-1 experience in the past & would encourage O&M instructors
to partake in future years if you can find the time.

This year, in addition to the teen track, NOPBC also put together a specific
middle school track - my 13 y/o LOVED this track, especially the Writer's
Workshop. Hopefully this track will be continued in the future & expanded
upon.

The excitement in the air at the Braille Book Flea Market was literally
tangible - another incredible & meaningful success.

The Talent Show was once again wonderful - there is so much talent!

As a parent, I give this year's convention 2 thumbs up! Both my kids had a
great time. It would be wonderful to encourage more parents/families to
attend the National Convention - I continue to find that there is still so
much to learn.

Sincerely,

Eric Vasiliauskas (Vejas's & Petras's Dad)