[Nfbc-info] January 2015 Bulletin

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 31 21:51:38 UTC 2014

2014 NFB Logo CMYK Rect

Mary Willows, President

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

925) 895-2778

 <mailto:mwillows at sbcglobal.net> mwillows at sbcglobal.net

January 2014 Bulletin

"Many things are thrown our way in this game of life. It's how you deal with
them that shows your true character. I want all of you to feel the hope,
love & passion I feel for the upcoming year & the rest of my life. I want
ALL of you to not only go for your dreams, but have a darn good time doing
it!" - May Waters

Dear Fellow Federationists,

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back."

National Federation of the Blind 2015 Scholarship Program

Deadline: March 31, 2015

Help us to spread the word about the largest scholarship program in the
county for visually impaired and blind students.  Are you a legally blind
college student living in the United States or Puerto Rico? This annual
program offers 30 scholarships worth from $3,000 to $12,000 to eligible
students, from high school seniors beginning their freshman year in the fall
semester of 2015, up through grad students working on their PhD degrees.
These merit scholarships are based on academic excellence, community
service, and leadership. In addition to the money, each winner will receive
assistance to attend the July 2015 NFB annual convention in Orlando,
Florida, providing an excellent opportunity for high-level networking with
active blind persons in many different professions and occupations.  To
apply, read the rules and the Submission Checklist, complete the official
2015 Scholarship Application Form (online or in print), supply all required
documents, and request and complete one interview by an NFB affiliate
president (unless the president requests a later date). Applications are
accepted for five months, from November 1, 2014, to March 31, 2015. Go to
<http://www.nfb.org/scholarships> www.nfb.org/scholarships for complete
rules and requirements.

Dr. Perry comes home to the California School for the Blind

On December 10, 2014, the superintendent of the California School for the
Blind, Dr. Sharon Sacks, ceremoniously hung a bas-relief picture of Dr.
Newell Perry in the library. A bas-relief is a projecting image with a
shallow overall depth, for example used on coins.  The sculpted picture
shows the characteristic French goatee.  President Mary Willows contributed
to the occasion by telling stories about experiences students had with Dr.
Perry.  Former students were pestered about their plans for the future where
they will go and how they will pay for their needs.  Dr. Perry was committed
to the education of blind children on social, economic, and educational
levels with the ultimate goal of employment. All are invited to feel the
bas-relief at CSB which hangs next to the only known portrait of Dr. Newell
Perry.

2015 TIME Act

The "fair wages" bill has a new name.  In 2015 our advocacy efforts will
again demand the repeal of Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
This year it is called The Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful
Employment (TIME) Act. The TIME Act explains exactly what we are advocating
for: Section 14(c)-certificate-holding entities need to transition their
business models to ensure that people with disabilities are reaching their
full potential in integrated and meaningful employment.

California Federationists will visit Washington DC to educate our
representatives about our 2015 issues concerning blind Americans during
January 27, 28, and 29.  Your support, phone calls, and email messages will
help to make sure our team is heard.  Watch for more information.

Accessible Employment Survey

The Department of Labor would like to hear from users of Accessible
Technology about experiences with online job applications.  The program is
called the Partnership on Employment & Accessible Technology (PEAT).  We
encourage you to participate in this survey found at
http://usodep.blogs.govdelivery.com/2014/12/15/charting-a-pathway-to-a-techn
ology-accessible-workplace/.

2015 Writer's Contest

The 2015 Writer's Division Contest has a theme this year. Since it is the
75th anniversary of the National Federation of the Blind, entries should
have "75" as a theme.  Let your imagination take over.  For example, 75
balloons, 75 steps to your destination, 75 aliens.  Adult contests, poetry,
fiction, non-fiction, and stories for youth are open to all entrants
eighteen and over.  The contest opens January 1 and closes April 1.  For
contest guidelines,  <http://writers.nfb.org> http://writers.nfb.org

The National Federation of the blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

National Federation of the Blind of California (NFBC)

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

925-462-8575

Thank you,