[Nfbc-info] CSUN: Guided Assistant Volunteers available

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Fri Mar 4 22:17:02 UTC 2016

Hello Friends:

If you are planning to attend the upcoming CSUN Conference you may find the
following information helpful. I recently reached out to two different San
Diego State University departments; Computer Sciences and Health Sciences. I
am recruiting student volunteers to provide assistance to members of the NFB
wishing to go through the exhibit hall on Thursday afternoon or Friday
morning. Please note the following information. To begin with, this is the
first time I have reached out to SDSU students to assist and interact with
members of the local nFB chapter. This is the first time I will train
college students to assist and interact with blind/visually impaired
individuals. The response is promising. I am in the process of scheduling
two learning sessions; one this coming Wednesday afternoon and the second
session will take place one evening the following week.

Here's a little more information. I decided to reach out to SDSU students
because CSUN sighted guides are only permitted to provide twenty minutes of
guided assistance in the exhibit hall. On a different note please understand
that San Diego and Escondido members of the NFB have first dibs to receive
assistance from volunteers. On the other hand, it looks like there will be
extra student volunteers available to assist NFB chapter  members coming
from areas outside of Escondido and San Diego. I will keep you updated.

Finally, here's what I would like to share with student volunteers when we
meet for the learning sessions. First, basic philosophy of the NFB. Next,
the various tools and methods used by blind individuals to go wherever we
want to go. In addition, I will discuss the Courtesy Rules of Blindness. All
of this will take place within 30 minutes. Chapter presidents and State
board members please let me know any specifics I should include when
training the student volunteers.

Thank you for your interest and support.

Warm regards,

Lisa Irving, Chapter President

NFBC, San Diego Chapter