[Nfbc-info] project blaid

Lauren Merryfield lauren at catlines.com
Fri Mar 11 11:13:06 UTC 2016

*          <http://www.tomsguide.com/t/wearables/> Wearables

*          <http://www.tomsguide.com/t/wearables/news/> News

Toyota's Project Blaid Wearable Helps the Blind

by  <https://twitter.com/cherlynnlow> Cherlynn Low Mar 8, 2016, 8:36 AM

Toyota is working on a wearable that could help blind people better navigate
the world. Called Project Blaid, for now, the shoulder-worn
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/toyota-project-blaid,news-22360.html> device is
will enter beta testing soon, and could give the visually impaired more
independence.

Blaid
<http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-project-blaid-blind-visually-impaired-peopl
e>  is worn around the shoulders. Built-in cameras scan the wearer's
surroundings, while on-board speakers and vibration motors help
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/toyota-project-blaid,news-22360.html> guide the
user. Onboard mics and buttons allow the user to ask for directions as well.

MORE: Wearing HoloLens: The Future of Computing on My Face
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/hololens-hardware-hands-on,news-20865.html>

Designed for use in indoor spaces, Blaid will help identify signs and common
features such as doors, stairs, escalators. Toyota also plans to add
mapping, object identification and facial recognition to Blaid eventually.

Toyota is starting a campaign for its
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/toyota-project-blaid,news-22360.html> employees
to submit videos of common indoor landmarks, and will use those clips to
teach Blaid and improve its recognition of these cues.

I'm a big fan of coming up with
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/toyota-project-blaid,news-22360.html>
technology that can help people. We're seeing more and more augmented
reality devices, such as Microsoft's Hololens, promise incredible ways to
make life easier. But such products often come at a high price - the
HoloLens will cost $3,000 at preorder
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-hololens-preorder,news-22327.html> .
If Blaid comes to market, I hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks,

Lauren

Blessings in Jesus' name!Now all glory to God, who is able, through his
mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might
ask or think.

   --Ephesians 3:20, NLT

Blessings in Jesus' name:

My digital evangelism blog is at:

www . ask in jesus name . org (take out the spaces when you type it)

advice from my cats:"meow when you feel like it."